R.I.P. my PC hopefully it is not a major break

Got lots of photos to edit but sadly when I got home from work my PC was dead. Was really weird that morning it worked fine. Shut it down went to work. After I got home I pressed the power button and nothing happened. Checked the usual stupid stuff making sure a cat did not turn off the PSU etc.

Not sure what is wrong with it yet but figured I would start with the cheapest possible fix. Be PSU should be here tomorrow hopefully this is the problem. Really hope the main board did not fail taking other components with it. :sob:

Sadly if it is really dead I will have to get a pre built as a replacement I can’t afford to rebuild the whole thing.

Any brand suggestions in case of the worst?

Laptop or desktop?
What were the specs on your old machine?

Was a desktop but open for anything. System is a Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz, 16 gb ddr 3000, gtx 980ti, 1tb Evo 860 ssd. @patdavid

I still hope it is just the power supply

1 Like

IF you have to upgrade: wait until July 7 (or thereabouts), when Ryzen’s new generation will be available. Your present clockings withOpenCL versus without will improve greately :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

I would look for any diagnostic information the motherboard provides, even if it is just a small set of LED codes — anything to help you diagnose what has gone wrong using the motherboard manual. The ideal situation is a motherboard with diagnostic LED output, but that tends to be found on boards only above a certain price point.

@damonlynch in theory that would work if the motherboard had power. There is no boot attempt. Literally the only response is the clicky sound the power button makes. When I say dead I mean literally no power at all. So my best guess possible is either the montherboard is toast so the supply never gets told to turn on or the supply itself is just fried. Did not see any indication led on the motherboard saying it had the basic constant power so I am assuming the supply is dead but it still could be the board.

Overall not quite sure what happened all I have atm is a powerless paperweight.

Some power supplies have a self-tester. I have no idea if cheaper ones do. There maybe a way to detect if ones without a self-tester are working okay — perhaps a search on YouTube will supply the answer (bad pun intended :grin:)

Yea no tester found on this but I do have a new one coming so we will find out :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thanks for the puns @damonlynch makes light of this disaster :joy:

It’s not easy to diagnose PC problems, especially when so many parts are involved. Hang in there. Hopefully it’s something simple.

From the button or the circuit shorting?

The button. It is a tactile type button so it clicks when you press

Start at the very beginning:

1. Does the wall socket has power?
  2. Is the power cable good? (mine is fused)

If you have any PC around, swap the power supply.

Did you check with a simple multimeter whether any of the PSU outputs have the expected (or any) voltage on them? That doesn’t guarantee it is fine (might break down under smallest of loads), but as far as I understand the absence of any voltage should prove that it’s toast.

I recall that some PS only get to life when a MB is connected. I had to short some connector pins to get it up.

Yea outlet has power and such. Also yes most power supplies actually only “come to life” when plugged into the motherboard. Typically you do need to short certain pins.

The new power supply should be here tonight for me to swap and find out if that is the issue.

Just to be certain, If you have anything that can be removed that draws power (other than the boot hard-drive, and possibly a video card, try removing them and then try powering the computer. Sometimes a card will fail and draw more power than the PSU can handle. If you have added on cards and drives, you may have shortened the life of the PSU by operating closer to the upper power limit.

1 Like

@Carl Welcome to the forum!

You and others are absolutely right. A good way to diagnose the problem is to break it down and determine the point of failure or complication. PSUs will grow weary just like people. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, I think[1] the PSU sends and receives a signal from the MB, and by extension the CPU, to do a full startup; so, you might need to determine whether the signal is being sent or not via a multimeter or PSU tester, though they have their limitations.

[1] I am not a hardware person, so I might be wrong.

Just a update bought a new computer picked up a iMac working good so far. Figured out what happened to the PC tho. Turns out the video card shorted and took the motherboard with it. The aio cooler sprung a really tiny leak that I never noticed… Everything was fried sadly.

:cry: sadly indeed!

However, you get a nice new piece of kit (even if it is Cupertino-sourced … :grimacing:)

Happy photo-editing on your new platform! :wink: