Rainy day street corner.

pr.street.corner.pp3 (14.5 KB)
pr.street.corner.rw2 (18.8 MB)

Almost walked past this one, looked back and liked the curves, greys, greens and beige. There’s a lot of surrounding ugliness as well, which makes framing this one a challenge. Was not really able to do it on the spot, so I zoomed out a bit to give me some more room to do it in post.

Might be fun to play with.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

EDIT: I removed this one because… Well the reason doesn’t really matter, lets just say that some things rather annoy me about this one the more I look at it.

Someone PM-ed me to ask why (you know who you are, thanks for the wake-up call). and that made me think: This is play raw, maybe others can do a better job then me and “fix” this one (even though I’m not going to tell you what it is that bothers me).

So it is back up and it will stay up.

3 Likes

pr.street.corner.rw2.xmp (10.3 KB)

3 Likes

I thought this crop looked best.

With Filmulator:

• Auto CA correct on
  • Profiled distortion on
  • Shadow Rolloff Point 0.0169 to darken the deep shadows
  • Film Area 216
  • Drama 68
  • White Clipping Point 0.697
  • Shadow Brightness 291 to brighten the midtones
3 Likes

What’s the intended purpose of those angled blocks?

No parking (and no pedestrians after dark)?

1 Like

Although it isn’t legal to park your car in these places to start with, many people do so anyway.

Not sure if it is clear but these blocks are high enough to seriously damage the underside of a car, so parking there isn’t a good idea any longer.

Then again: I’ve seen people seriously damage their car by trying to drive over them anyway.

EDIT: Thomas beat me to it :slight_smile:

EDIT2: Nope, these are car specific and not for pedestrians.

Those are pretty fierce. I’d stay well clear of them! Imagine using those to enforce track limits in F1!

LOL They already get pissed at mini bumps (50-millimetre):

2 Likes

LOL you could fit my sympathy with Mercedes on the head of a pin. Imagine getting that far off line in Monaco.

pr.street.corner.rw2.xmp (10.3 KB)

1 Like

Judging by the way they’ve put those wall barriers too, I’d say those angled blocks don’t work that well. Looks very militaristic, especially because that side walk is unmaintained and overgrown.

Nah, wrong deduction based on too little (visible) information.

This double road is being worked on. Full redesign with a smaller road, dedicated cycling and pedestrian paths, roundabouts and sewer replacement.

The barriers you’re seeing are being used twofold: To create a safety divider between pedestrians and cars where needed and to protect the waterway and old trees between the roads from heavy duty work traffic.

All this isn’t at all obvious in the above image. Work itself hasn’t reached here yet, but the dividers were (loosely) placed all along the road when work started months ago.

I think in this photo the color contrast is the crucial element. The wet asphalt becomes darker and bluer in contrast to the dry grasses, which then appear lighter and more saturated in color. I like to shoot after the rain while the sky is still overcast and there are no harsh shadows. The colors then really come out:

pr.street.corner_03.rw2.xmp (19,1 KB)

darktable 3.5.0~git2590.a7ab4c1946-1

4 Likes

I’m appreciating the conditions you’re describing more and more when shooting. The balancing act afterwards to not over saturate an image can easily become an issue.

Often this is entangled with taste though. Your edit being an example: I love the edit, but I do think that the grass is a bit too orange (for my taste). The side-walk and asphalt looks very nice in yours.

2 Likes

Lookin’ for love in all the wrong places. …Maybe.

dt darktable-3.5.0+2539
pr.street.corner_07.rw2.xmp (26.5 KB)

1 Like

I like your tight crop.

When I took the shot I was focused on the curb in the foreground with the weeds, so I initially missed something in your edit. It works nicely though. The diminished curves shown in yours seems to benefit the calmness.

This is street photography, by definition. :laughing: Sometimes you see something, colors and physical elements, and think that’s interesting. But when you look at the photo, it seems diffuse, no focus. In the case of this photo, I zoomed in and scanned around until I found this. I did it in color, but thought it didn’t look off limits and forsaken enough. So I switched to BW. If I were printing it, I think I would keep it small with three or four inches of white border.

An ominous look … definitely tank-trap