Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9.0a4 is released

Great idea! Now that I’ve followed @floessie’s instructions, it started installing, but ended thus…

It’s failing when installing pyzmq. You’re installing it on Linux Mint right? It looks like they don’t package g++ by default, whereas Ubuntu does.

I’m not a C++ programmer these days (haven’t been so for 20+ years!), so I’m not up to speed with which version of g++ is used by default. So to be start with, do this from a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install g++

then run the install script again.

so I downloaded and installed g++, and rerun the script, everything seemed to go well but didn’t install. Couldn’t find the icon under graphics, so ran ‘rapid-photo-downloader’ in terminal, which told me it wasn’t installed, but suggested I install it thus ‘sudo apt-get install rapid-photo-downloader’ so I did. What installed was an old version 0.4.

At this point, it would seem I’ve perhaps installed more extras than I’d intended to get one app to work, and I’m not sure I really want to go any further.

Whilst I really appreciate your work and dedication to this project, there really has to be a much simpler way to install? Have you considered Flatpak, Snaps even appimage?

As far as I understand you are trying to install an (incomplete) alpha version. I would guess once it’s ready for release you will get packages that are easy to install for major distributions and a while after that the distributions will package the new version and you will install it even simpler. As you installed the “old” version (0.4.11 is the latest released version).

The complicated install procedure you are describing is for early testers.

One person has kindly volunteered to attempt to put together a snap package. Let’s see how he gets on. I hope it works out.

I don’t expect there will be a Debian/Ubuntu deb or Fedora RPM package any time soon. It really does take expert knowledge to create one of those, because in this case several dependencies also need to be packaged.

In theory I could take the time to develop that expertise. But it would take a serious amount of time, and any time I put into that is time taken from developing the program itself. And that’s time I don’t have.

At issue here is that generally speaking, if we look at the big picture, there is a large number of programs and program libraries that would be great to have packaged in the major Linux distros, but which are not packaged. They are not packaged because there is too much to package and not enough people to do it. Moreover, sometimes packaging decisions are made by volunteers who are not experts in what they’re packaging, so sometimes the wrong software library is packaged, or it is given the wrong name, etc. Once these errors are made, it’s not easy to undo them.

Snap packages are one approach to solve this problem. AppImage and FlatPaks are another approach to solve similar but not identical problems. I really hope they work out, because the current system is unsustainable, even for the biggest distros like Debian and Arch.

Back to the topic of Rapid Photo Downloader packaging itself. For now, the only way to install it is using the current method. That may change when and if a snap package arrives. If an official Fedora or Debian/Ubuntu packager decides they like the program enough, someone might decide to put the time into package it. As i say, I can’t do that myself.

@Fotonut part of the problem you are seeing is that you’re using Linux Mint. I haven’t tested the installation of my program at all on Linux Mint, especially not a beta version of that distro. I’ve tested it on the entire Ubuntu family and Fedora. Meanwhile please be patient because I’m doing my best.

Thanks for the explanation @damonlynch, I think I’ll wait until LM18 goes to final (hopefully in a couple of weeks) and try again then.

I’m struggling to get this installed on a Raspberry Pi. I had version 0.9 working with Ubuntu on a netbook and now I’m trying to get it installed with Ubuntu Mate on a Raspberry Pi 3. 0.4 runs but I was having issues getting it to scan iOS so that is why I want 0.9 but it will just not install. If I run the installation script with 0.4 installed, it does not overwrite and running the app opens 0.4. If I uninstall the 0.4 package and run the installation script I get a “No such file or directory” error. Any idea what I am missing?

What version of python is on your system? Looks like a mismatch.

It’s working now and I don’t think I did anything other than reboot. But its working like a charm and I’m much happier

The install script does not uninstall the previous 0.4.x version, correct. If you don’t want the previous version, uninstall it using the Ubuntu system tools.

1 Like

After having used the version 0.4 for some years on ubuntu and kubuntu systems, I reinstalled it on a new system - this time Linux Mint Cinnamon - and have found the following “bug”: when I deselect all and then select any number of photos, and then want to click-mark them for downloading, only every second file is selected. Clicking again selects the other pictures but unselects the preciously selected.
Unnerved, I deinstalled the Programm and tried to install the new version 0.9 following the instructions on the website. However, the installation routine refuses to recognize the Python3 and PyQt5 I did install via Mint’s regular sources.

I am willing to work with any version that acutally works - so can any one help me to fix the one or the other problem?

That’s a known Gtk+ 2.x bug. The latest version of Rapid Photo Downloader uses Qt and not Gtk.

You don’t mention which version of Linux Mint you’re running but it might be that your version is too old.

Thank you for that very quick answer -
would it help to install the qt-default? and if yes, should I prefer qt5-default or qt4-default?

I do use the latest version Linux Mint 18…

Unfortunately I released 0.9.0a5 without taking into account the quirks in LinuxMint (which does some things differently from Debian & Ubuntu). I have updated the installer to take these quirks into account but I won’t release it until I put out alpha 6. Meanwhile you can install alpha 5 like this:

sudo apt-get install python3-pip python3-wheel libimage-exiftool-perl python3-pyqt5 python3-setuptools python3-dev python3-distutils-extra gir1.2-gexiv2-0.10 libgphoto2-dev python3-arrow python3-psutil g++ qt5-image-formats-plugins python3-zmq exiv2 python3-colorlog libraw-bin python3-easygui libmediainfo0v5 python3-sortedcontainers

the run the installer as instructed i.e.

python3 install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a5.tar.gz

Finally if you don’t have a bin directory in your home directory create it i.e.

mkdir ~/bin

then create a symlink from ~/.local/bin/rapid-photo-downloader in your bin directory i.e.:

cd ~/bin; ln -s ~/.local/bin/rapid-photo-downloader .

logout and login to have the application launcher appear in your menu.

Edit: you could also download the updated install.py which automates the process. Open

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dlynch3/rapid/zeromq_pyqt/files

and click the little arrow beside install.py

I am again impressed by the speed of the answer! - thanks a lot!
AND IT WORKED!
I chose the manual way of installing it by preparing the dependencies, this time the installation went alright. My system does have a bin folder, so that was easy, too. - Man am I happy!
And you’re right, of course, there are some quirks in Linux Mint - but at some point, I had to get productive with my new DELL notebook - and kubuntu 14.04. had some problems with the driver, making skpye unusable, while 16.04. constantly switched the dual screen settings - so it was kind of choosing plague or cholera… :wink: but I have to say, apart from that problem now solved, I am satisfied with the system so far.
Thanks again a thousand times!

Hi there, I’ve followed all the steps above however havn’t had as much luck as Julius here. I’m also running Mint 18. I keep getting a “python setup.py egg info” failed with error code 1… If you can recommend anything that would be awesome. Thanks!!

tbuck@GLaDOS ~/Desktop $ python3 install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a5.tar.gz

Installing application requirements
Ignoring typing: markers ‘python_version < “3.5”’ don’t match your environment
Ignoring scandir: markers ‘python_version < “3.5”’ don’t match your environment
Requirement already satisfied: psutil>=3.4.2 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 4))
Requirement already satisfied: gphoto2>=1.4.0 in /home/tbuck/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 5))
Requirement already satisfied: pyzmq<=15.1.0,>=14.4.1 in /home/tbuck/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 6))
Requirement already satisfied: pyxdg>=0.25 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 7))
Requirement already satisfied: arrow>=0.6.0 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 8))
Requirement already satisfied: python-dateutil>=2.2 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 9))
Requirement already satisfied: rawkit>=0.5.0 in /home/tbuck/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 10))
Requirement already satisfied: pyprind>=2.9.4 in /home/tbuck/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 11))
Requirement already satisfied: colorlog>=2.6 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 12))
Requirement already satisfied: easygui<=0.97.4 in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 15))
Requirement already satisfied: colour in /home/tbuck/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 16))
Requirement already satisfied: pymediainfo>=2.1.4 in /home/tbuck/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 17))
Requirement already satisfied: sortedcontainers in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from -r /tmp/tmpyobj4fl2 (line 18))

Installing application
Processing ./rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a5.tar.gz
Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/tokenize.py”, line 454, in open
buffer = _builtin_open(filename, ‘rb’)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/tmp/pip-wgiqc02t-build/setup.py’

----------------------------------------

Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-wgiqc02t-build/
Failed to install application: exiting

have you downloaded the rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a5.tar.gz and placed it in the same directory as the install.py script?

Yes, both are on the desktop and I’ve made sure the terminal is pulling from the desktop.

I gather from the various places you’ve been posting about your installation woes (i.e. reddit) that you’ve encountered several problems during installation, not all of which you cover above. My guess is that somehow your system has gotten into a state where it’s difficult to install anything new using python packaging tools because of previous errors.

I’ve installed the program on Linux Mint so I know it works. So the best solution is to start afresh. List what you have installed:

damon@LinuxMint ~ $ pip3 list --user
arrow (0.8.0)
colorlog (2.10.0)
colour (0.1.2)
easygui (0.97.4)
gphoto2 (1.5.0)
psutil (5.0.0)
pymediainfo (2.1.5)
PyPrind (2.9.9)
python-dateutil (2.6.0)
pyxdg (0.25)
pyzmq (15.1.0)
rapid-photo-downloader (0.9.0a5)
rawkit (0.5.0)
six (1.10.0)
sortedcontainers (1.5.4)
You are using pip version 8.1.1, however version 9.0.1 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

Now uninstall everything related to Rapid Photo Downloader. I have listed them below. You probably won’t be able to uninstall all of them because they’re probably not all installed, so figure out which ones from the list below apply:

damon@LinuxMint ~ $ pip3 uninstall arrow colorlog colour easygui gphoto2 psutil pymediainfo PyPrind python-dateutil pyxdg pyzmq rapid-photo-downloader rawkit sortedcontainers

Hit y when prompted to do so for all the packages. Don’t remove six as it’s a general tool unrelated to Rapid Photo Downloader.

Next ensure you have downloaded the updated install.py script using the instructions I noted to another user earlier in this thread. That updated install.py fixes some problems on Linux Mint.

If Rapid Photo Downloader doesn’t install report back here.

1 Like

@yalepilot & @damonlynch thanks for this exchange. For whatever reason, I couldn’t figure out how to uninstall this until Damon mentioned the obvious. I ended up using synaptic, but any of the package management tools (e.g. apt) will do.

fwiw, Damon, consider mentioning this on the 0.4x FAQ.

Best,
-C