Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9.0a4 is released

The highlight of this release is photo and video subfolder generation configuration. Download it at: http://damonlynch.net/rapid/download.html

You can choose from small selection of built-in presets, or create your own:

Clicking on custom brings up the photo / video subfolder generation editor:

Using the editor you can type text and choose from the combo boxes below. The example file name is updated in real time, with its color coding matching the editor. (For now the sample file name is a generic file, not a sample from a scanned device. That will change in a future alpha release).

If you like you can save the configuration as a custom preset:

Which brings up a very simple window:

Entering the custom preset’s name:

Having saved the preset, I’ve now edited it some more:

The editor is displaying a hint to make editing easier. There are a few such messages.

Here is an example of one of the combo boxes:

And finally this illustrates a couple of saved custom presets:

Hopefully this proves easier and more efficient than the system in previous generations of releases. Some users were confused by the older generation style of configuration.

Something like 95% of the GUI code to handle file renaming is shared with the code that powers subfolder generation, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to this alpha release to include the GUI for file renaming too.

Speaking of time, shortly I’m going to be on the road and might be off the grid for some weeks. So expect possibly very slow replies to bug reports, feedback etc. I wasn’t able to test this release as much as I’d like too, so if it’s a bit rough around the edges, sorry about that :wink:

2 Likes

I think I might need some more assistance installing this please. I’d really like to give it a go.

Following the download instructions, I’ve installed pip, but on update it tells me there is an update from 8.17 to 8.18, so looks more like a point release. How do I update this? Is it important even?

After changing directory to where the tar folder is, I also tried to install using “./install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz”, only to be told “bash: ./install.py: No such file or directory”

Then, out of curiousity, I tried “./ install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz”, and got “bash: ./: Is a directory”.

In both cases, the name of the downloaded file is identical to the name in the code above.

So, I’m a bit lost. Any help would be much appreciated!

Using Linux Mint 18 Beta (based on Ubuntu 16.04)

Cheers,
FotoNut.

Did you try:

python3 -m pip install --user --upgrade pip
python3 -m pip install --user --upgrade setuptools

Thx for the reply, yes and all is good there.

If used that command verbatim, ther shouldn’t be a space between ./ and install.py, rather it should be ./install.py

I tried both, and neither worked.

./install.py = no such file
./ and install.py = is a directory

Can you untar the file, change to the directory, then run sudo python3 setup.py install.

I get the same pip upgrade error on Fedora 23; it seems the packagemanager, dnf, is written in python and relies on pip, so pip is installed at the system level and doesn’t want to change.

Executing the above command after extracting the contents of the tar file results in:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 37, in <module>
    from DistUtilsExtra.command  import *  # build_extra, build_i18n, build_icons, clean_i18n
ImportError: No module named 'DistUtilsExtra'

The PhotoFlow AppImage didn’t work on this machine either. Maybe I’m just having a bad day.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “setup.py”, line 37, in
from DistUtilsExtra.command import * # build_extra, build_i18n, build_icons, clean_i18n
ImportError: No module named ‘DistUtilsExtra’

Looks the same to me. Happy it’s not just me.

It really shouldn’t be this difficult, surely? I mean just to install an app. It’s the biggest bug-bear of Linux to me, compling, appimages, this
 If someone like us, who have used Linux for a while struggle, what hope for new users to Linux? Surely, it would be better to make sure there was either a ppa or .deb/rpm installers available? Sorry, just realised I was ranting. Rant over. :slight_smile:

I appreciate the help.

I’ll try this on my Ubuntu box tomorrow, Fedora has been rough for me.

Thanx, that would be interesting indeed, considering I’m getting the same result a your Fedora box using an Ubuntu-based alternative.

Tested on Ubuntui 16.04 - Works great!

Sorry Stuart, this doesn’t help me at all, unless you’d like to explain anything that you did differently to the download directions? Cheers.

Try ‘yum install python-distutils-extra’ and try again )

Don’t do this! As it says on the website:

Caution: untarring the archive, building it and installing it using
sudo python3 setup.py install
is not supported, and not recommended.

If you are running Fedora or Ubuntu/Debian or a system based off of them, use the install script that I provided. It takes care of all the dependencies and installs everything automatically.

You must run the command ./install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz from the same directory that you save the install.py script and the tar file. Do not add quote marks. Do not add spaces.

If you have untarred the rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz, delete whatever you extracted. Do not try to install it using the extracted contents.

I have not tested Linux Mint. Can you copy and paste the contents of /etc/os-release here? Thanks.[quote=“Fotonut, post:8, topic:1668”]
a ppa or .deb/rpm installers available?
[/quote]

Some key dependencies that Rapid Photo Downloader requires are not packaged, e.g. python-gphoto2. I filed a request that it be packaged in Debian a year ago.

@damonlynch The only thing in my /opt folder is a google folder for chrome. There is nothing else.

I installed the files Stuart suggested, but still get this

fotonut@fotonut ~/Downloads $ ./install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz
bash: ./install.py: No such file or directory

Even though I’m installing from the directory the said .tar.gz folder resides.

Moving the .tar.gz folder to /Home and attempting to install from there returns the same output.

I have also deleted the extracted folders.

You have to download the install script too. If you don’t download it, you cannot install it. The link for the install script is located near the top of this page: Rapid Photo Downloader: Download and Install

Thanks Damon, but pardon my ignorance, but when I click on the script it shows code. What am I meant to do with that?

When you click on it, you are opening it in an editor or viewer or something similar.

When you prepend ./ in front of it, from the command line, you are running the script. In this case you want to run the script, not open it.

So what you do is open the terminal window, change directory to where install.py and rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz are located, and run the script like this:

./install.py rapid-photo-downloader-0.9.0a4.tar.gz

Use your browser’s “Save link as
” to save it to the folder where the tarball is located. Before running it, make it executable by running chmod u+x install.py.

HTH,
Flössie

Good point! I’ll change the instructions to prepend python3, working around that particular problem.