Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9.27a1 is released

Download the installer script from the usual place. If you want to take advantage of being able to download from iOS devices, then running the install script instead of the in-program updater is recommended.

To install the alpha version, run the installer script like this:

python3 install.py --devel

Apple iOS device users please let me know if you run into any difficulties. I updated the program documentation to reflect the Apple device support: installation instructions and usage.

Changes:

• iOS devices are now accessed using a software library written specifically to
    communicate with iOS devices, libimobiledevice. Previously, gPhoto2 was used,
    but gPhoto2 is unreliable with iOS because it appears Apple does not follow
    the PTP standard. Please note that on some systems, it can take some minutes
    for the iOS device to appear after it has been plugged in.

Distribution package maintainers should modify
    rapid-photo-downloader packages to include the following package
    dependencies:

Debian / Ubuntu, Fedora:

• libimobiledevice-utils
    • ifuse
    • fuse

openSUSE:

• imobiledevice-tools
    • ifuse
    • fuse
  • Python 3.6 is now the minimum Python version.

• Update install.py script to correctly enable Power Tools repository on
    CentOS 8, and the Qt5 wayland package on Fedora and CentOS 8.

• Update Albanian and Polish translations.

11 Likes

Great to see you back, @damonlynch! And great that you’re still working on RPD. Many, many thanks for all your work!

2 Likes

Best news in ages. :+1:
Take care.

1 Like

@damonlynch The install script appears to install RPD 0.9.26. Is that what’s supposed to happen?

Welcome back!

would you Prefer the package to hardrequire the tools for iphone support or more like a recommends?

I amended the initial post to reflect the need to run the install script like this:

python3 install.py --devel

Thanks for asking, and thanks as ever for keeping the openSUSE package up to date. It should be a hard require. It shouldn’t be too burdensome for those who never plug in iOS devices because libimobiledevice itself is in any case already installed.

Ah, I missed that. Thanks for the correction.

done in graphics/rapid-photo-downloader

and on the way to tumbleweed via request 908941

2 Likes

Hello, I’m on Linux Kubuntu 20.4 (LTS).
The required libraries fuse, ifuse and libimobiledevice-utils are installed.
Installed RPD 0.9.27a1 successfully (no error messages detected).
Connected my iPhone 7 / IOS 14.7.1 and ‘trusted’ it.
Connected it many times, alas, only this pop-up window appears and then … nothing else happens.

Interesting! I assume you had the device plugged before Rapid Photo Downloader startup, and something is causing a continuous loop of error-retry-error.

I tested it on KDE Neon, which is also based on Ubuntu 20.04, and it worked fine for me.

Please follow these steps to open a bug report, but put it on GitHub and not Launchpad: Rapid Photo Downloader: Documentation. This is the GitHub link: Issues · damonlynch/rapid-photo-downloader · GitHub

Good to know, then I still have some hope, although so many brave endeavours of taming the iPhone connection under linux in the past are rotting in the sand. I opened a bug report on github as requested.