Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9.35 is released

This release no longer includes a script to install the latest version. Instead, you will need to wait for your Linux distribution to update its packages. For Ubuntu users, hopefully I can set up a PPA.

Changes since 0.9.34:

• Remove install.py script, built-in updater and new version check.

• Python 3.10 or newer is now required.

• New Python packet requirement: packaging.

• Fix bug #85: Exception while selecting generation scheme from download subfolder menu with more than five custom presets.

• Fix bug #50: Confirm before removing all presets for custom renaming or subfolder generation.

• Fix bug #49: Enable deletion of individual custom renaming and subfolder generation preset.

• Re-enabled Ctrl-Q shortcut key for quiting when running under WSL.

• Limit default number cores used to generate thumbnails to 8 (or the number of physical CPU cores if lower). Previously the limit was the number of physical CPU cores, which is nonsensical on high core count systems.

• Fix bug #110: ExifTool not called during rename process.

• Fix bug #112: WIDGETSIZE_MAX import error.

• Conform version indentifier in setup.py to PEP 440 which is enforced with
    setuptools >= 66.0.0. Thanks to stratakis for the fix.

• Eliminate use of depreciated pkg_resources.

• Conform to changes in package python-gphoto2 2.5.0.

• Update Albanian, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, Hungarian, Japanese,
    Polish, Russian, and Spanish translations.

13 Likes

Thank you once again for this magnificent tool that is an essential in my work-flow.
:clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap::clap: :clap:
How’s your wrist-injury (I think it was) treating you?

1 Like

My typing injury means I can hardly type without experiencing pain, but the injury is thankfully better than before. I’m using a combination of Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Talon on Windows 11 and WSL2. PyCharm works well like that.

My main problem these days is that I’m struggling with Long Covid, both physically and cognitively. Last year was pretty brutal. Some have it much worse, however. So in that sense, I am lucky. I’m hoping I will be able to recover this year, as long as I don’t push things too hard.

1 Like

Was going to “like” but that could be misconstrued; without derailing the thread too much, I hope, let me express the hope that you will indeed be able to recover from Long Covid, and thankfulness that your typing injury is better and you have some tools to help.

OBS can help you with debian and rpm packages as well. like we did for darktable and many other projects.

1 Like

Here’s to a full recovery this year, @damonlynch !

5 Likes

This could be very helpful. Thank you. I will look at the documentation. One initial question I have is can I tailor a package per distro? For example, Ubuntu has features that do not work on Fedora (or even Debian).

For RPM based distributions that is pretty straight forward. for deb based distros not so much. which feature is it? if it isnt too hard to provide the extra dependencies as well. you could just copy e.g. the ubuntu src package and let OBS rebuild it. that way you can provide the same functionality for all distros.

It’s the feature that allows for showing a progress bar on the program’s launcher icon, and a badge showing a numeric value. KDE and Ubuntu’s flavor of Gnome provide this feature. For legacy reasons, in KDE and Ubuntu Gnome this feature uses a library originally developed for Unity. Last I checked, this library crashes under Fedora, and is not available and Debian.

That’s why Ubuntu has it’s own Rapid Photo Downloader DEB that differs from Debian. And is why Fedora cannot use the same package as Ubuntu.