Rapid Photo Downloader 0.9.36 is released

Ubuntu 22.04 and 23.10 users can install this version via the newly reactivated PPA. If you have any questions about using this, let me know here.

I have updated the download page on the Rapid Photo Downloader website with instructions for the use of this PPA, as well as providing a small tool to uninstall it if it was installed using the old install.py script.

I hope to set up packages for other distributions using the Open Build Service in the near future.

Changes:

• Highlight Timeline cell when the mouse is hovering over it.

• Fix bug #121: No feedback provided when invalid destination chosen in download panel.

• Fix bug #122: Application crashes on start on openSUSE Tumbleweed. Thanks to Bozhin Karaivanov for the fix.

• Catch GLib errors like g-io-error-quark when checking the results of mount operations.

• Update Albanian, Dutch, Hungarian, Norwegian Bokmål, Russian and Spanish translations.

10 Likes

@damonlynch Great to see you back in action (but very carefully, I hope!).

Hope this isn’t a stupid question, but won’t the ppa work for any Debian-based distro we’re using?

Keep well.

mac

Ah, not if some dependencies are specific to ubuntu 22/23, of course.
mac

Yes, this package expects libraries to show app badges and app progress indicators (which is a very nice feature, in my opinion). What distribution are you using?

I’m using Debian 12 (Bookworm)

Great to see you back on development. I’ve added the PPA to my Linux Mint 21.3 install (based on Jammy) and its working fine. But the app is still showing as 0.9.34 in the startup splash

Have you confirmed that the package from the PPA actually installed?

cat /usr/bin/rapid-photo-downloader

#!/usr/bin/python3
# EASY-INSTALL-ENTRY-SCRIPT: 'rapid-photo-downloader==0.9.36','gui_scripts','rapid-photo-downloader'
import re
import sys

# for compatibility with easy_install; see #2198
__requires__ = 'rapid-photo-downloader==0.9.36'

try:
    from importlib.metadata import distribution
except ImportError:
    try:
        from importlib_metadata import distribution
    except ImportError:
        from pkg_resources import load_entry_point

def importlib_load_entry_point(spec, group, name):
    dist_name, _, _ = spec.partition('==')
    matches = (
        entry_point
        for entry_point in distribution(dist_name).entry_points
        if entry_point.group == group and entry_point.name == name
    )
    return next(matches).load()

globals().setdefault('load_entry_point', importlib_load_entry_point)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    sys.argv[0] = re.sub(r'(-script\.pyw?|\.exe)?$', '', sys.argv[0])
    sys.exit(load_entry_point('rapid-photo-downloader==0.9.36', 'gui_scripts', 'rapid-photo-downloader')())

So unless 0.9.34 has left something behind that is being picked up by accident…

I’ve deleted the .34 script from .local/bin

If you installed the previous version using the install.py script, it would be best to uninstall it first. Do you still have the install.py script? It has an uninstall feature. I plan to make a small script to uninstall a version of Rapid Photo Downloader installed with the old install.py script.

This was my mistake because I (rather foolishly) forgot to take into account the plight of users that previously installed it using the old install.py script.

I have put instructions up on the download page for how to uninstall versions installed using the old install script, providing a small tool to do it.

1 Like

That’s fixed it

Thanks

1 Like

It has been almost a month and the 0.9.36 release is not on the Tumbleweed repository to install :frowning:

@darix had handled the openSUSE packaging for many years, and has always been very prompt. He may not have seen the release announcement?

everyone can contribute to openSUSE Tumbleweed and do the update. It isnt that hard.

@damonlynch while checking requirements.txt for bumped versions i noticed this line

importlib_metadata; python_version < '3.8'

since 3.10 is minimum now i think that one can go.

python’s requests library is still listed but not used anymore?

update request is here:

Thanks for noticing that! Yes, the requests library is not used anymore, because no version checks are made. And the importlib_metadata entry is out-of-date.

Coincidentally, currently I’m revamping how the program builds. I’m hoping to totally eliminate use of setup.py in favour of pyproject.toml. I need to figure out how to handle i18n, among other things.

I’ve already made that pyproject.toml only change to Show in File Manager. However in the last couple of days I’ve been learning that just because Python build tooling from the last two years or so is backwards compatible with Python 3.10, that doesn’t mean it’s possible to actually build a Python project with that new technology on a distro that has Python 3.10 installed — the distro packages themselves are too old, and are frozen in time. Backports are not easy!

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed: updated to the newer version.

I’ve just recently discovered this software and it is amazing! I was able to start using it immediately and in less than 2 minutes I was downloading my images with proper renaming and backup copies.

It has been a while since seeing such an intuitive and engaging user interface. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words @dtrtuser!