Rapid Photo Downloader not run ask for exiftool

since october, RPD asks me to install exiftool, before it worked fine. Exiftool is present.

Archlinux
RPD 0.9. 24, May 2020
perl-image-exiftool 12.00 june 2020
libexif 0.6.22 June 2020

Is there a log file?

If an Archlinux user has the same problem?

Run this command from the command line (terminal):

which exiftool

What is the output?

I have been using it on updated Arch Linux as recently as last week without issue.

no command line message

only a popop window : you need to install exiftool to run rapid photo downloader
exit of the program (in french for me)

perl-image-exiftool 12.00

Sorry, there is some confusion. What is the output when you run the command?:

which exiftool

Do it like this:

Sorry
$ which exiftool
which: no exiftool in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin)

I reinstalled perl-image-exiftool on October 23 !!

There is no way Rapid Photo Downloader can run until you solve this problem.

I don’t know what the cause of your problem is, but if you cannot find the answer here or in an Arch Linux support forum, then you can always work around the problem using an ugly solution:

1. Download the latest ExifTool: https://exiftool.org/
  2. Extract the ExifTool archive into a folder in your home directory
  3. Add the ExifTool executable to your path. There are several ways to do that. This is one approach: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-add-to-bash-path-permanently-on-linux/

thanks for the help and the search lead

1 Like

There is something weird in how your path is set. You should have /usr/bin/vendor_perl in your path (which is where exiftool is installed). Are you overriding your path manually?

If i do this RPD run :
[andre@asus-pc:~] $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin

[andre@asus-pc:~] $ export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/vendor_perl"

[andre@asus-pc:~] $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/vendor_perl

[andre@asus-pc:~] $ which exiftool

/usr/bin/vendor_perl/exiftool

[andre@asus-pc:~] $ rapid-photo-downloader

but valid only for the terminal session.
I will look at / etc / profile
Loss of the path, after my vacation, following a major system update i suppose

As a general rule, you only should be appending things to your path, not overriding it like there. Maybe you are overriding your path in some of your personal config files.

Resolved
By looking at the pacman log ; profile.pacnew file was created (/etc/) during the updates. I renamed profile to profile.old and profile.pacnew to profile. After restarting, everything works fine.
Thank you for all.

2 Likes

I have RPD set to launch on the insertion of an SD card. Been working fine for over a year. I’m now getting a message “You must install Exiftool to run RPD”

I can launch RPD from my XFCE launcher, no problems.

return from cli:

which exiftool
/usr/bin/vendor_perl/exiftool

Running Manjaro Pavo 21.1.6

Thanks

There’s no error log provided, but here’s the code logic I assume you’re hitting.

To diagnose, open a terminal, start python3 (which might simply be python on Manjaro / Arch), then do this:

>>> import shutil
>>> shutil.which('exiftool')

If nothing is returned, then there’s your problem.

If the proper path to the executable is returned, then that’s a sign that the environment is not being configured properly with whatever mechanism is launching Rapid Photo Downloader. Or there’ s some kind of weird bug in Python’s shutil module on your system, which seems highly unlikely to me as to be almost impossible. But who knows.