Rapid Photo Downloader setups

Hello,
I have been using RPD for some time now, and recently fel the need to use different storage devices according to what I photography.
I did not find how to save setups to match my needs - unless I misread the documentaion (Rapid Photo Downloader: Documentation).
I always use two external HDDs : one for the photos, the other for backup, both with same hierarchy. But none with such folders like Photos, etc.
I have a set for usual photos, another for astrophotos, and soon other sets.
Say I will transfer usual photos : I setup both main and backup devices, then start the transfer - and all ends up OK.
Now, I eject my devices to use those for astrophotography : I have to set up again to take account of devices change, and no way to save it for a further use.
Once again, unless I misread the documentation, then I just need to be pointed to the part where it is explained, I will know I have to focus to that.
If it is not yet implemented, it would be nice to have it in a further release.
Regards,
J.-Luc

Welcome to the pixls.us forum!

1. When you eject the destination and backup drives, is Rapid Photo Downloader running?
  2. Do you start Rapid Photo Downloader after having inserted them?

Hello,

1. I would say “yes” in any case : either it was the only transfer, so I eject the destination media before shutting down RPD and start the processing software, or I have transferred daylight photos and will now transfer astrophotos, so I eject the destination media in order to insert the others.
  2. No, I insert the media after starting RPD.

In any case, there is no problem as far as I stay in the same process : continuous daylight or astro, but I wish I could save diiferent setups taking account of the destination media by their name or ID, not by some folder inside.

Rgrds,

Just to be clear, so I understand exactly what your workflow is:

1. You start Rapid Photo Downloader
  2. After you have started it, you insert the destination drive and backup drive
  3. You then use the right side panel to set the Download Destination
  4. You configure file renaming, Download directory structure, and backups to match your task
  5. After your download, you remove the destination drive and backup drive
  6. You then exit Rapid Photo Downloader

Please clarify if these are exactly the steps you take.

Questions:

1. Have you made your own preset for file renaming and download subfolders? If not, why not?
  2. Do you have automatic detection enabled for backup hard drives? If not, why not?
  3. Are you aware that when you remove the destination drive while Rapid Photo Downloader is running, Rapid Photo Downloader should automatically reset the download destination? (If it doesn’t, that’s a problem, because you would be left with an invalid destination).

If you were to exit Rapid Photo Downloader before removing the destination drive, and then plug in the destination drive before starting Rapid Photo Downloader, Rapid Photo Downloader would remember the destination from last time.

Assuming you are already using your own presets for fire renaming and download subfolders, then can you please elaborate on the exact nature of the workflow problem you are facing? What is slowing you down? Please be as clear as possible.

Hello,
First of all, I realize I did not mention the OS and SW versions : Ubuntu 20.04 / RPD 0.9.26 - that is done.
Then, part 1 :
1 to 3 : yes.
4 has been done once and is remembered.
5 : OK.
6 : Say it will not be a second batch, so yes.

Part 2, 1 to 3 : yes.

My problem is that destination devices are not remembered after ejecting, even if I re-insert the same set. I have to browse the files structure and select the destination each time I insert a set of drives.
I will try to take screenshots and attach them in a next post.
Rgrds,