Rare Exotic Green Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF)

Thanks! It was hard getting out of a warm bed a little before midnight to travel 1.5 hours to this location. I was kind of lazy since my friend offered to drive. I also had some problems with my camera initially. The focus ring wasn’t working for manual focus until I re-attached the lens. That problem wasted a good 15 minutes fiddling with that.

Does your Pentax have the astrotrace functionality?

Well I wish I was that lazy…

Yes, I have the o-gps accessory that I got very cheap in like new condition (that’s the great thing about Pentax, everyone wants to get rid of them :slight_smile: it definitely helps, but it doesn’t do miracles. 6 seconds is the upper limit on a 300mm lens, and even that already starts showing a bit of trailing. But certainly better than nothing

Here my version, monochrome, shot sunday.

Setup:
FS-60CB + 0.72x reducer: f4.2
Camera: 2600MM, L filter Antlia

Cheers,

7 Likes

Very nice. Any info on the equipment used and other tips that you might want to share? :slight_smile:

Oh right. I’ve added the setup in my previous message.
Sorry.

1 Like

Here is a 5-hour time-lapse from the nite of Jan31-Feb1, only makes sense in 4K.
RawTherapee \rightarrow FFmpeg

The comet is really booking!
Morgan Hill, CA
11:30PM January 31, 2023 — 04:10AM February 1, 2023 Local Time
Canon 90D
85\text{mm}\ \ f/\ 1.2:1\ \ \ \mathrm{L}
1121 \times 13\mathrm{s} @ f/2.8

4 Likes

A Siril stack of 276 lights, composite of Global Star and Comet Registrations with GIMP desaturated. (seconds 8 - 11 from video above)

Composite as above with saturated stars and colorized comet.

5 Likes

I had my first bit of success with comet photography last night. 45x8sec exposures with a 35mm lens at f2.8 and Nikon D7100 at iso 1600. Stacked in DeepSkyStacker and further processed in darktable.
It’s cropped a bit, to reduce the fuzzy corners caused by (I think) the noticeable distortion of this lens causing the stars to not align properly.
Very far from perfect, but quite pleased anyway. :grinning:
The big orange thing at lower right is Mars.

1 Like