Rare Exotic Green Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF)

greencomet30jan-5

Right now it’s half way between the two bears, very easy to spot. Have you all managed a capture? This is a single shot, the center portion of the 85mm frame shown on the chart. Not the finest result but the weather changed so rapidly this was the best one. The last time we saw this was in the stone ages, some 50k years ago.

15 Likes

Fantastic shot! It’s been relentlessly cloudy in my part of the world, and will stay so for days… I may not get the chance to see it with my eyes.

1 Like

Clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds … Oh yeah, rain, too. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh, yeah - Scotland…

1 Like

I did this:

It’s a focal length blend with the sky from 10 tracked exposures, 2 minutes each with an 135mm equivalent lens and the foreground one 1 minute exposure with a 35mm lens equivalent.

14 Likes

Thanks @HIRAM for the heads up (literally :slight_smile: ! I’ll try capturing tonight, let’s see how it goes…

1 Like

Last night was a no-go due to rain showers, that aren’t due back until at least one more day, hopefully. Scientists are warning the public it’s not visually spectacular, and really requires at least binoculars to appreciate, and that the images seen in the media are time-elapsed. One term I heard was “glowing frozen space sponge” (asteroids being relatively regarded as space pillows).

1 Like

And here’s how it went, FWIW :slight_smile:

16 Likes

That’s an accurate description of what I saw with my small refractor :slight_smile:
As usual pictures look much better than what you can see live, though it’s not quite the same experience IMHO.

1 Like

Here’s mine out on the eastern plains of Colorado. It has been super cloudy here as well. Very cold out there in the single digits (Fahrenheit) with wind chill. Probably would have been bearable without the wind.

This is with my hydrogen-alpha modified Panasonic S5 with the 70-300mm lens at 300mm, f8, iso6400. 50x20s frames tracked. Processed with Siril and Darktable.

Bonus Milky Way panorama. Not the best stitch by hugin, but good for initial stitch. Processed with Sequator, Hugin, and Darktable. A few further tweaks with Gimp.

The friend I went with just got the new Ford Bronco. He’s been waiting over a year for it.

modded S5 + Sigma 14-24 @ 18mm. 6 panels: 4x20s, f2.8 iso4000

14 Likes

SouthEast UK: Clear skies, not very cold at 5 deg C but seemed worse. Loads of streetlights. Couldn’t find anything green with a tail by naked eye or binoculars, but this chap seemed the most promising. Nikon D800 on wibbly tripod, 58/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, ISO 100, 8s at f/1.2. Processed with:

%DCRAW% -v -6 -T -w -W -O x.tiff AGA_5242.NEF

%IMG7%magick x.tiff -auto-level -auto-orient -evaluate Pow 0.8 x.jpg

3 Likes

…and here in Louisiana, USA, it’ll be completely clouded over and raining until Friday at the earliest. By when it will be nearly full moon. Arghh… it’s the astronomer’s life. :slight_smile:

I sold my 100mm f/9 semi-APO refractor back in the summer, but I have a nice little 150mm f/6 Newtonian OTA (in its place on my iOptron AZ Mount Pro) that would be great for this comet. It would also be easier to set up than my 300mm f/5 Dobsonian. Actually my 80mm f/7.5 achro would be best, probably.

But it’s all academic until stars replace clouds at night…

1 Like

@snibgo Alan,
According to this you were looking at Bootes—too far east.

@jdneumeyer JD that’s great, I kinda want to see what it looks like at the 70 or 100mm end.

I’m afraid you’ll have to settle for 99mm. :stuck_out_tongue: You’re in luck this was a test shot trying to locate it at 99mm, 10s, f5.6, iso12800. This was just a quick edit in Darktable.

3 Likes

This is beautiful. I should really make the effort and drive to the mountains instead of lazily trying from the balcony :slight_smile:
For reference, mine was with a Pentax k5-ii with a 55-300mm at 300, about 40 light frames at 6seconds, f/5.8, iso6400, processed with Siril and finished in art

2 Likes

Ah, yes, thanks, @HIRAM. I had never heard of Boötes, but knew about Arcturus from somewhere. You can tell I’m not an astronomer.

2 Likes

Oh yes. Same here in Germany. :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to say that all of these images are amazing! Thanks for sharing them!

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s going anywhere real soon… ack! It sucks living near sub-tropical waters. :slight_smile:

Movement is east-northeast.

2 Likes