Raspberry Pi Is Now Selling a 12-Megapixel Camera for Only $50

Great job!
How much will it cost as soon as you put it in production? :thinking:

Jokes aside, it will be interesting to know the total cost - I’m sure it will still be affordable, and you get an almost 100% opensource camera (well, what is the sensor weight in this equation?)

@bastibe Wonderful! Thanks for sharing. Could be a murder weapon (self-defence, honest). :scream:

@ggbutcher With a red dot and a surname. Yours would be Butchca: sounds luxurious. :moneybag:

@gadolf Always much more expensive where I live. When I see prices here, I would have to add $400+ on top after exchange.

1 Like

Fun fact, the black filament wouldn’t print. I’m still trying to debug that. So white it is for the moment.

It is surprisingly expensive, actually:

• Raspberry Pi 4 (€55)
  • HD camera module (€55)
  • Some lens, official or Bolex/TV lens from Ebay (~€30)
  • Waveshare 4.3" HDMI capacitive touch display (€50)
  • USB powerbank (€15)
  • Buttons and stuff (~€0)
  • 3D printed (or otherwise) case (€?)

So roughly, €200 for a 1/2.3" sensor with no EVF, no weather sealing to speak of, and a manual lens.

But completely Open Source, and you get a small computer with it!

2 Likes

Source code and additional documents here: GitHub - bastibe/Raspberry-Pi-Camera

Definitely a work in progress at the moment. I’ll upload the 3D model once the dimensions actually fit. Version 2 of the case is printing as we speak :wink: .

1 Like

More fun maker projects: https://m.dpreview.com/news/3250699133/video-how-to-build-a-custom-raspberry-pi-becca-cam-with-zero-coding-experience

in-camera darktable/RT/etc editing…

1 Like

Some more profiling related news:

2 Likes

Wow. With the right lens adapter (for a Nikkor 105mm macro) I could have a dedicated studio macro/focus-stacking setup, which would be convenient. To say the least.

I’ll be buying one of these.