Rat in the grass...

…well, tree rat that is. Kinda cute, I have to admit …even if he / she is eating all of what is supposed to be bird food. That’s why the corn on the ground – For the squirrels (but they eat everything anyway).

Processing-wise the challenge for me was to bring the rodent off the visually equally-busy grass background without looking fake / overdone. I think I more or less succeeded, but I’m also sure it can be done better.

Canon T8i / 850D, EF 70mm-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Edited in ART 1.19.3, resized for PIXLS and exported in Affinity Photo.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

IMG_6169.CR3 (30.1 MB)
IMG_6169.CR3.arp (61.8 KB)

8 Likes

Tree rat, illuminated from far side. Local spot on the face.
IMG_6169.jpg.out.pp3 (15.7 KB) RT-5.9++

2 Likes

IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (13.3 KB)

4 Likes

I agree, it looks great and there’s definitely a good separation :slight_smile:

1 Like

My version…

IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (20.2 KB)

3 Likes

Here’s mine, darktable 4.2.1. A bit of split toning with Color Balance RGB for colour separation, warming the grass in Color Calibration, Contrast Eq to calm down the surroundings and sharpen the squirrel, then rounding off with a couple of masked exposure instances.

IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (15.7 KB)

2 Likes

Being Australian I love your tree rats. Here is my attempt at 1 am in the morning and wanting to fall asleep.

IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (18.0 KB)

1 Like

Nice shot !
IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (19.5 KB)

1 Like

That’s a very similar to the approach I took in ART. In addition to the Tone Equalizer I used three masked Color / Tone local edits and a pair of foreground / background masks with positive and negative Local Contrast to subtly emphasize the squirrel and slightly soften the background. I also dropped saturation on the grass (which is something I rarely have to do!).

1 Like

They’re cute although they can take over a yard. And yeah, I started on mine too late as well. I need to enforce a strict “look at final images for two days before posting” rule. So far, I’m in violation. :smiley:

Thanks! I should’ve put the corn a little farther away from that accursed chain link fence, though… :slight_smile:

Nice photo. dt 4.2.1

IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (6.9 KB)

1 Like

Cute!

IMG_6169.CR3.xmp (16.0 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks @lphilpot for the play :slight_smile:

This version is chiefly made by using a lot of curves in
the Lab Adjustments module, a module which I have neglected for far too long…

Developed in RT5.9-dev (ladenoise_improv-release branch) ekorre.pp3 (14.4 KB)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

Aaaw… a liddle squiggle. Mind you, they’re not so cute when they move into your loft and ruin your insulation and electrical wiring :wink:

2 Likes

Yep … kind of like those cute little chipmunks. They can be very destructive.

1 Like

Hi Claes,

I like your approach! You achieved a nice separation between the subject and the background and made it look very interesting, like a work of art!

1 Like

IMG_6169.jpg.out.pp3 (13.8 KB)

1 Like

My fun in GIMP

or

1 Like

another version done with vkdt:

with the cfg file :
IMG_6169.CR3.cfg (16.1 KB)

and the nodes file (need to rename without the final “.cfg”):
13224547e0991213.dat.cfg (789 Bytes)

1 Like