Raw and DNG files do not look the same

I’ve opened the .orf in rawtherapee and I’ve set the neutral profile, exported as srgb 16bit tif uncompressed and opened in photoshop

Then I’ve opened the .dng in rawtherapee and I’ve set the neutral profile, exported as srgb 16bit tif uncompressed and opened in photoshop

Definitely there’s a difference but it is really small (every pixel and not only the sample point )

Sorry, the white patch does not mean crap since the neutral color (even spectrally such as in the target shot) in normal neutral matrix should stay. Look at the sky gradient, check the foliage, sky, light skin patches (A3,A4,A5) A being the top row and number the column, they are even visually different providied youre viewing on a calibrated monitor . I am not talking Cameraraw, I am talking the RawTherapee handling RAW and DNG differently.

Wouldn’t it use the embedded DNG profile instead of the one from the camconst.json? Which would explain the differences.

1 Like

Might be, but that is a flawed behavior. I want to take control of the input profile. and you can check it yourself - apply the same input DCP or ICM profile for ORF and DNG in theColor Management > Input profile tab and still see the difference! At least, the DNG with an embedded profile should switch to Embedded, if possible!.

Perhaps the color management page can be of some help.

EdiT: sorry, the post was addressing not me.

Is your post adressing me?

Yes, it is. There is a decent explanation of how the profiles are selected there.

@afre Thanks, man!

I think we don’t know what DNG converter is doing to the data behind the scene. Perhaps nothing! Only Adobe knows. In peculiar, all exif data are shuffled, some modified. e.g. Lens cannot be recognised in the DNG file.
So I think the only way to be sure to obtain the very same output from ORF and DNG is to use an Adobe product.

Hi all,
I already posted this on github, but since probably not many people are actively reading RT bug reports, I’ll repost here :slight_smile:.
I’m not sure I fully understand what is the problem experienced by the OP, so I tried this little experiment:

$ rawtherapee-cli -j -p DNGAuto.pp3 -o orf.jpg -c P1015545.ORF
$ rawtherapee-cli -j -p DNGAuto.pp3 -o dng.jpg -c P1015545.dng

Then I loaded orf.jpg and dng.jpg as layers in GIMP, and set layer mode to “Difference”. Here is what I get:

Is this the difference in output we are talking about? If not, could someone please clarify? Thanks!

And just to put this in context:

$ rawtherapee-cli -j93 -p DNGAuto.pp3 -o orf-93.jpg -c P1015545.ORF
$ rawtherapee-cli -j90 -p DNGAuto.pp3 -o orf-90.jpg -c P1015545.ORF

Gives this:

Yes! That occurred to me as well :slight_smile:.

Hi,

IMHO your problem is the DNG file - everybody assumes that converting to DNG is a lossless conversion but it isn’t. They do normalize some of the data contained in the original RAW file (most notable the black point data has often been mangled and even at times falsely interpreted and some of the masked rows and columns of the sensor were previously discarded) and transform them to a common denominator by embedding a camera profile which must be adhered to by the development software. The original RAW file OTOH will be interpreted completely by the RAW converter which will apply it’s own camera profile.

If you were to extract the camera profile from the Adobe LR or RAW converter library and instruct RT to take that one to convert the image I’m willing to bet that the results will be practically identical.

I made three test using the color picker in photoshop:

test1- rawtherapee: orf and dng are always different ( even without colormatrix or the same colormatrix)
test2-cameraraw: orf and dng match perfectly
test3-darktable for windows: orf and dng match perfectly

My camera can save both DNG and a vendor specific raw format PEF I’m not sure it’s useful but if you want to research if it’s a general bug you can find files here: Filebin | 005fe0bioakmcuhp

DNG, PEF processed twice once using Neutral and once with the standard Pentax dcp applied. It’s really sunny here and i’m doing this whilst caring for a sick child (nothing serious) so I’ve not analysed the results. The light changes a bit unfortunately. I can do static shots with off-camera flash if it’s useful.

Edit: after looking closer at the images I see the light (and background due to wind) changes to much for the images to be useful.

Edit2: Looks like Neutral profile does some things different with PEF and DNG after all.

It’s conceivable that the PEF is a bit brighter pushing it over the edge but I doubt it as the DNG is also blown out.

1 Like

@nosle (and all) thanks for the help. We are already digging into this, please check RAW files and DNGs obtained from them give different results at identical settings. · Issue #4129 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub if you are interested

Sorry I don’t have a github account but following the discussion I’d like to add that I would find it useful if RT could make full use of all DNG colour settings like matrices WB etc. In Darktable the DNG embedded matrix becomes an option if available. It’s sometimes useful to be able to replicate the camera settings as closely as possible. In RT you have to get hold of the settings from the Adobe software when it’s already embedded in the DNG.

1 Like

I’m seeing this too with RawTherapee 5.4 and Adobe DNG converter 10.4 using a Nikon D600. The DNG files appear darker and their highlights are pink. For this example I’m using neutral settings (built-in preset in RT). I’ve chosen cropped compressed raw format in order to reduce file sizes for everyone and thus hopefully speed up debugging.

Here I’ve shot the same photo with longer and longer exposure to provoke over exposure so that you can gradually see the problem getting more and more obvious. All other camera settings are fixed. I hope this helps.

http://www.robotplanet.dk/t2/rawtherapee5.4_dngconv10.4_pink_highlights.7z

Now, I noticed that the difference in brightness is exactly 2 EV on the exposure compensation slider, so I tried upping all the .dng files to +2 and this makes things far more even. Except, a bit of pink is still seeping through. So they’re still not quite the same. (I’ve left out the raw files this time, as they’re already provided in the above file.)

http://www.robotplanet.dk/t2/compensation_2ev.7z

Test using the latest dev build.