raw_crop values in camconst.json for ILCE-7RM5 (Sony A7RV)

It seems that the values for the Sony A7R5 (ILCE-7RM5) in the camconst.json file are incorrect. The current values (“raw_crop”: [ 0, 0, -32, 0 ]) leave black borders on the right and bottom of the images. I updated with “raw_crop”: [ 0, 0, 9565, 6370 ] and it seems to do the trick.

On a side note: Contrary to the instructions given in the file (see below), I wasn’t able to override this setting by creating a camconst.json file in my ~/.config/ART folder, so I instead edited the original file.

All changes made here will be lost on software update. If you want to add custom values or change existing ones, create
a "camconst.json" file next to your personal "options" file. Its values will then override and/or complete the ones of
this file.

Hi,
This should work. Are you sure the file is in the proper place and its syntax is correct? If there’s some error, it will be ignored.

This is because the uncompressed & lossy images have different size to the new lossless mode when unpacked:

Exif.SubImage1.ImageWidth                     9600
Exif.SubImage1.ImageLength                    6376
Exif.SubImage1.RowsPerStrip                   6376

vs

Exif.SubImage1.ImageWidth                     9728
Exif.SubImage1.ImageLength                    6656
Exif.SubImage1.TileWidth                      512
Exif.SubImage1.TileLength                     512

This was an oversight on Sony’s part (there is nothing in the TIFF spec saying the image size has to be a multiple of the tile size; padding/borders are to be ignored automatically anyway), but now we’re stuck with it, affecting all “newer” cameras since the introduction of the lossless mode.

The actual active area size for lossless mode is in a new tag 0x7038 SonyRawImageSize (which is completely unnecessary had Sony not made the said oversight), and for 7RM5 it is 9568x6376 (note that this actually is the -32, 0 from the traditional uncompressed/lossy files).

1 Like

Turns out there was a bug indeed. Thanks for the report! It should be fixed now (and also the crop).

1 Like

Thank you @kmilos for the explanation and thank you Alberto for the fixes!