Raw edge, indeed

In another thread, there is a discussion about [t]rusty Opinel knives.
Evidently, Opinel could need additional Quality Control: here is a #8 Opinel
Inox, straight from the factory, showing the worst raw edge I have ever seen…

But, since it is a RAW edge, perhaps I could run it through RT or dt to sharpen it? :thinking:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

7 Likes

:rofl:

I like your posts.
A different look at trivial unnoticed objects with a touch of swedish humour!

1 Like

I… this is the first time I see a knife blade up close. So this is …bad?

1 Like

Ah, at last!!! Someone commenting on the macro (which I am so proud of). Thank you! :-)))))

That edge is not bad, it is horrible. In a proper edge, both sides meet, say like this V.

To see if an edge is sharp, turn the edge upwards, and let a light reflect against it: if the edge is sharp, it will throw no reflections.

There are a few nice “degrees of sharpness” one could learn to achieve – but that would be quite off topic here. If anyone is interested, PM me for additional info.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Fed up with all the misinformation, last year I delved into learning a bit about sharpening and the distinction between sharpening and steeling/honing. Indeed microscopy is a great way of understanding what’s happening and verifying whether what you’re reading is valid or garbage. Youtube has some videos on the matter (nowadays youtube has videos on all matter including dark), for example this one:

The image was definitely a surprise, felt like I was looking at a cross section of a roughly cut plank of wood.

1 Like

Mega-macro image