RAW & JPEG - Minimal Clipping. Edited Image - Almost 100% Clipping. Why?

Hello. This is my first post here.
Turned on the clipping function in darkroom. The raw indicated very minimal clipping. Ran the clipping function on my edited image and nearly the entire image is indicated as being clipped. Why?
Here are the RAW (DSC06090.ARW), orig sidecar (DSC06090_03.ARW.xmp), edited sidecar (DSC06090_02.ARW.xmp), and exported JPG file (DSC06090-american_flag_&_golden_eagle) files.

DSC06090.ARW (23.8 MB)
DSC06090_02.ARW.xmp (11.0 KB)
DSC06090_03.ARW.xmp (6.7 KB)

Thanks and God bless. :pray: N<1

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

One is sensor clipping. The other is RGB values being close to 0 or 255 in the output.

1 Like

You seem to have messed with your color calibration setting… rather than something like as shot you chose an orange illuminant and so applied a lot of blue… THen you amplified this a lot with the color balance module…

See this… use the waveform histogram it is far superior to using the standard one… look at your blue off the chart…

As shot

See the blue channel now back down and maybe the color is now not what you were shooting for but it was based on those previous settings you chose in CC module… so you could set those to default as well by reset the CB module and then restart your grade…

2 Likes

I think that placing the color picker in cc on the white in the flag would be a good place to start.

1 Like

Sure you could do that as always use something neutral… I was just trying to keep it simple as I think the OP is new to finding his way in DT… in this case for me the as shot had a bit of warmth and I felt like keeping it rather than cancelling it out…

@genesius here is one simple edit… I won’t show it as you have not added permission… but here is the sidecar… the tree tops can be tricky against that blue sky …

In any post you make where people are free to assist you by showing you alternate versions of your image from edits or to demonstrate things to you then you will need to add this link. Then people will make suggestions, comments and offer up their solutions…

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

DSC06090_01.ARW.xmp (14.0 KB)

3 Likes

You have had some good advice already about why your editing approach created the clipping, but I would also point out that the clipping indication has options that can be set by the user to define what they want to regard as clipped or not clipped. This therefore will give a different result to the raw clipping indicator.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with DT. It is a great program.

1 Like

And the histogram profile…

1 Like

@priort what do you recommend for the histogram profile. I see it changes the histogram a lot.

I guess that depends… I leave it on rec2020 most of the time…this equals the working space and so roughly gives me histogram, picker and gamut values for that since the histogram profile determines those… if you do want to see srgb values then you need to change it for that. So basically if I keep things well managed then I trust the output profile to do the mapping to my chosen output even if that is srgb for the web… You can set the soft proofing profile to srgb…it won’t change the display but you can use it as a quick toggle as it will change the histogram and the regular gamut warning (not the overexposure one) uses that when soft proofing is active.

Others may have other reasons to choose differently …

2 Likes

@priort
Where do I find rec2020 and the other settings you mentioned in this response?
Thanks and God bless. :pray: :camera_flash: N<3

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/development/en/module-reference/utility-modules/darkroom/soft-proof/

Right click the icon…

This one will give overexposure and gamut based on the histogram profile setting…

Profile settings here

This one gives gamut based on the softprofile setting

1 Like