Raw (nef) viewing on a Windows tablet.

Just bought a new Microsoft Surface Pro X tablet (it sucks) to replace our laptop for upcoming European travel. It saves me at least 1500 g over our laptop and accessories (charging cable alone weighs about 400 g) Anyway, just also bought a very cool and very light Nikon Z50 with tiny 16-50 for the trip (to replace D7200 w/18-140) as well.

The tablet runs on Windows 11 Pro and has only 8 Gb of RAM. We also bought a mouse because the touch response is really terrible–sometimes but not other times!

I will use the tablet to back up photos (raw/.nef) during our trip, offloading them to various USB drives, and some to the cloud. I use RawTherapee 5.9 fairly regularly, but I am certainly no expert. I wonder what you would recommend for the tablet, mainly for just viewing raw files on limited system resources? I plan to do no processing on raw files on this device. Would RT crash or just take a very long time with only 8GB? Perhaps IFANview? Thanks.

If you’re just viewing, why install any of these? You can add the NEF codec directly from Nikon, or the RAW codec from the Microsoft store, and you’ll be able to see these in the file explorer or Microsoft Photo just as any other ordinary image…

3 Likes