Raw Processing Software for New Fuji Shooter

I posted a few images on this forum, they come from my X-T2. I also have an X-T3 now but so far I’ve mostly used it for filming music videos.

I had an X-T1 first, and it was when x-trans started to get popular, and DT and RT were starting to support this new type of sensors. Devs of both programs were really great. In the end I chose RT as the overall approach satisfied my workflow a bit more. @heckflosse did his best to improve and optimize x-trans decoding in RT.
Oh and welcome!

I have the X-S10. I just bought it less than a week ago so am I still learning how to use it. I’m also coming from the Canon ecosystem, so I’m also learning Fuji’s way of doing things, plus the whole mirrorless vs DSLR thing!

My early impressions are very positive. IBIS is amazing. And the kit lens is a cut above any kit lens I’ve ever owned. Let me know if you have any questions!

Have fun. I may take you up on that…thanks so much …very kind.

Maarten has an amazing site and his videos are about as in-depth as you can get…

THis may be of interest as well as his evaluation of the x-s10

https://www.youtube.com/c/MaartenHeilbron/videos

1 Like

Thanks, I will take a look! I might write up my thoughts at some point, which may be of some use for people moving from Canon to Fuji and/or DSLR to mirrorless. A lot has changed in the 10 years since I last bought a camera!

Maarten is a bit of a character but he does dive deep into the settings and the menus and he has quite a few videos on the x-s10 so it may provide a few tips or short-cuts

I am using mostly ART These days with the X-T3 and X-T2. I used a lot also darktble and Rawtherapee. I ended up using mostly ART just because I tend to reach faster the results I like with it.

All three are excellent photography software. I used ART less than the other two because it is newer. It’s really a though decision and so far I could not make it but on the other hand in my case it’s my aspiration to know all serious photography software well. I think it is not necessary to pick one. It does not matter which one you choose to start with. Try them, use them. Well you don’t have to pay for them so form that perspective you don’t need to choose. Of course, there are many factors to consider, e.g. hardware. If you have a pc with an Intel GPU only, perhaps darktable is not the best app for you. Or maybe you want to upgrade because of darktable? If you need clone/retouch tools often, skip RT. If you are concerned about power consuption, forget darktable.

1 Like

I finally got my new SSD in, and can gladly say I am up and running on Ubuntu 20.04

I installed darktable using the snap package since it was convenient.

I also downloaded the ART 1.8.2 .tar.xz file and extracted it. It took me a second to figure out that just executing the ART bash script would start the program. Is this the recommended way to start ART? Also, where is the recommended location in the filesystem for ART? I was thinking something like /opt/art/ would work?

That’s how I do it, extracted to my desktop, so it’s click the folder, click the ART file, just two clicks and it’s open.
For Fuji raws it’s superb.

I realized I was having such a difficult time with DT because the snap download from Ubuntu is quite old. Picture me trying to follow scene referred workflow and the modern color correction process and absolutely nothing was making sense to me haha.

Anyway, I downloaded the newest release package and finally got my first image processed and for my first time I exceeded my minimal expectations.

Here is the SOOC JPEG

And here is the exported JPEG from DT 3.4.1

5 Likes

If you want the best of both worlds, use ART! :innocent:

1 Like