Raw Processing Software for New Fuji Shooter

I don’t know if new user/welcome posts are allowed here. Apologies if they aren’t and I will gladly remove.

I’m an enthusiast photographer who is trying to take the next step in their adventure to learning new skills. Part of that process involves transitioning to a Linux environment, and learning RAW postprocessing.

My photography mainly consists of travel landscapes and travel documentation for vacations I take with my family. We’re also expecting our first child so I am hoping to delve into newborn photography in the near future. I am a software engineer in my day job, so I like to have an understanding on how things work under the hood, which probably explains why I found this community.

I don’t currently have any experience with RAW postprocessing, so similarities to LR or any other alternatives really isn’t important to me, I’m just trying to learn a new software that will make my photos look nicer than the SOOC JPEG when I want them to.

I have been doing a lot of reading on Darktable, RawTherapee, and ART, so they are the three programs I am most considering.

An ability to work well with Fuji RAW files is obviously important to me, as that will be the format of all of my files.

Additionally, I don’t intend on processing all of my photos, as the Fuji Film Profiles provide pretty good JPEGs a lot of the time. I forsee needing postprocessing support when I get into trying to correct skin color abnormalities in newborn photography and such.

The last thing that’s important to me is good support. I think I’ve found all of the associates wiki’s/docs for the programs, but any YouTube channel tutorials would be helpful as well.

I have been reading a lot about DTs scene referred workflow and the filmic module. I feel like I have a good grasp on the concept of what it is doing, but I want to make sure that I won’t be hindered by it coming from a Fuji camera. Can I still shoot for neutrally exposed Fuji JPEGs without utilizing ETTR and work within the scene referred workflow if need be?

Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for creating this great resource for FOSS, I have already gained immensely from its existence and hope to be able to contribute more in the near future.

1 Like

If you don’t ETTR, the only downside is everything is slightly noisier.

All of the open-source raw editors are fairly similar with regards to Fuji processing.

Welcome to the forum. This is a good place to learn; I speak from a similar experience as yours in that regard.

While I’m a Nikon user, I’ve processed a few Fuji raws in the PlayRay series done here at pixls.us; I don’t notice any particular differences. All the software we discuss here will process Fuji raws, either Bayer or Xtrans mosaics. BTW, PlayRaw is a great place to learn, processing others’ raws, seeing what others will do with an image.

2 Likes

Hi & welcome!

I think all three pieces of software handle xtrans files well. Just pick the one that speaks to you.

Congrats on the incoming child, you have plenty of photos to make!

Congrats and welcome. Given that you are new to raw editing I just picked up on your comment and I thought I would just say a couple of words. You will be able to search the forum and see some long discussions on the topic. Just be aware that in terms of output/final results a raw file is not by default a better jpg. Your camera performs many steps and custom calculations to create that jpg. When you master the tools the raw is more of a blank canvas. So you won’t have the Fuji jpg formula baked in not that that is a bad thing. You will have just as the file name suggest the raw data with the flexibility to work with white balance and use a wider dynamic range if your image has deep shadows or highlights. You can push tones and color harder as well. But you won’t have custom tone mapping, noise reduction, sharpening and color tweaks that are done in camera so be prepared for a learning curve to get these to where you feel comfortable. Basically you can always use your JPG as a guide but if you use it as the benchmark especially at the start of this learning process you will be very frustrated and likely feel that either you or the software is not up to task… experiment and don’t expect too much at the start and you will slowly get the hang of it. Just realize that its not a better JPG just waiting for a couple of quick auto buttons and bam you can run through a 100 images…its a process…best of luck…

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify my initial statement to say that, I’m comfortable with the SOOC JPEGs in most cases, but I’d like to be able to edit the RAWs in instances when I’m not satisfied.

1 Like

Hi @dleonard1122 and welcome!

Which Fuji?
I am presently using an X-T4, which works wonderfully
together with both darktable and RawTherapee.

Do not forget that a photo nowadays can be “developed” in about half
a million ways. I may favour a certain “recipe”. You may fancy another.

There are many good tutorials on dt as well as RT, here and on YouTube.
But, as a start, you really do not have to dig into the intricasies…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Certainly. You would on the other hand not believe how many people will complain about the software not making colors, sharpness etc etc look like the jpg. It becomes an obsession for some often based on this premise that if they have the raw file it will or should look even better…in most cases it will on some levels on others may be the jpg will be hard to match esp with Fuji and all those wonderful film simulations…

Thanks! I shoot with an X-T3. I have the 16-80 f/4 lens and also the 35 f/1.4 when I want to be more creative.

I have read that a bit in some of the research i’ve done trying to figure out which program to learn. It always surprised me too. Why would you bother editing RAWs if you are only trying to edit them to look exactly like the JPEG?

1 Like

In this thread, you will find some X-T1 and X-T3 shots, using a lot of different lenses. Most of mine were developed with darktable.:

PS: Here are some tutorials that taught me a lot:

Very much appreciated, thank you!

From the comments that you hear sometimes it would appear that many people treat the raw as a saviour thinking it doesn’t matter how bad the shot is that if they have the raw they will be able to correct it……well better than a jpg for sure but more emphasis on a good composition, focus and exposure in the first place go much further than having a raw file at your disposal…it sounds like you have an approach to it……

2 Likes

Welcome fellow Fuji shooter.

I’m using X-E1, X-E2, X-T1, X-T2, X-T3, X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 files in RawTherapee with no issues at all. I also use Sony system profesionally. The demosaicing are fine and I’m loving the application. I’m also testing ART which I just found some 24 hrs ago, loving that application too, but I do miss some of the wider options RT brings to the table.

When it comes to the type of sensor, Fuji, Nikon and Sony have the same kind of sensor “in a way” and will react best to ETTR for RAW workflow. For JPEG workflow you have to shoot by what you see, or just hit PLAY and then Q to develop the JPEG in the camera manually, which I often do on all my Fujis. I would advice to shoot both JPEG and RAW, then you do ETTR if shot is important or shoot for WYSIWYG when you can live with 1. faster workflow 2. more noise if you have to save the image.

My higest recommendation as a fellow RT user who likes fast workflow is to download the HaldCLUTs that @patdavid mention on his website, and you find more of them in this forum if you do a search.
https://patdavid.net/2015/03/film-emulation-in-rawtherapee/

Best regards,
Aleksander

2 Likes

I find it hard to sort out the major differences in all the Fuji cameras…if you were asked in general for the best bang for the buck which model would you recommend…xt3??? Some are Bayer and some are xtrans…I do like the look of those cameras and they seem really versatile just not sure what each step up in cost is offering? Any tips appreciated

If you watch the sales you can grab an X-T3 for $999. I think that’s a steal.

I’m sure some of the Fuji shooters here can comment with their oppinions backed by much more experience than I, but here’s what I found when I did my research to decide where to buy in.

The ‘More information’ table at the bottom does a good job showing the lineage of each camera series and which sensor they utilize.

For me, I wanted interchangeable lenses, I liked the physical interface of the X-T# cameras (as opposed to the smaller X-T##, I wanted the updated sensor and AF firmware. Between the X-T3 and X-T4 I decided that IBIS wasn’t worth it for me, mainly due to cost. The X-T3 is a great bargain right now imo.

I paid $1,500 for my X-T3, a 16-80 f/4, an SD card, and an extra battery. They’re a great deal.

Thanks s much Dylan I will have a look. I looked recently at the XS10 then the WE just came out to add to all the existing ones…

I will likely wait until I can actually get my hands on one…if this Corona business will subside

Thx Mica. I was tempted a couple of weeks ago I saw that at B&H