RAW Support for Canon PowerShot G7X Mark II

I’m trying to process RAW files from Canon Powershot G7X Mark II, but I couldn’t find any suitable lens correction for it. I tried different options set in the Lens / Geometry / Lens Profile / Manually Selected but none gave me the correct result. I haven’t found G7X Mark II though.

I added a screenshot from Gwenview (image viewer) that shows the RAW correctly (the same way like on camera’s display and like in the Canon Digital Photo Professional software). I guess this is because there is no option for G7X Mark II (only older G7X). Is there anything I can do to make this work?

How it looks in RawTherapee (in this case with Canon PowerShot G7 X as camera and Canon G7 X & compatible as lens)

Hi @catchman and welcome to Pixls!

I’m all but certain that you are using a too old a RawTherapee version. The official 5.8 version does not support the mark II. This is what it looks like out-of-the-box on the latest build:

As you can see the camera/lens is picked up automatically.

There is a chance, though, that your lens database isn’t up-to-date, make sure that it is.

You can download a recent development version right here:

EDIT

I just noticed that you also posted this issue on reddit in both the RawTherapee and
the darktable sub-reddits. This also showing up in darktable makes me to believe that this is most likely a lensfun issue and that your lens database is not up-to-date.

Look for and open the compact-canon.xml file; the following should be present:

<camera>
    <maker>Canon</maker>
    <model>Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II</model>
    <model lang="en">PowerShot G7 X Mark II (3:2)</model>
    <mount>canonG7X</mount>
    <cropfactor>2.72</cropfactor>
</camera>
<camera>
    <maker>Canon</maker>
    <model>Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II 4:3</model>
    <model lang="en">PowerShot G7 X Mark II (4:3)</model>
    <mount>canonG7X</mount>
    <cropfactor>2.94</cropfactor>
</camera>
<camera>
    <maker>Canon</maker>
    <model>Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II 16:9</model>
    <model lang="en">PowerShot G7 X Mark II (16:9)</model>
    <mount>canonG7X</mount>
    <cropfactor>2.85</cropfactor>
</camera>

If that is not there then you need to update your lens database.

It still is a good idea to also start using a newer RawTherapee version, though…

Hi,
thank you.
You’re right - lensfun was the main problem. I wasn’t aware about the lensfun, updating it with lensfun-update-data script brought G7 X Mark II to RawTherapee (as so to Darktable).
It’s even selected and applied automatically
Now the results are much better.

Still it differs from what the camera displays, what I can see in Gwenview and Canons software. Also, when I set my camera to shoot simultaneously to JPG and RAW then the RAW displayed in RawTherapee differs from the jpg displaeyd in it. Geometry is now correct but the cropping is probably not (I’m not sure whether I use correct terms, sorry for that).
See the screenshots of the very same photo (on RAW and one JPG)

RAW

JPEG

By the way, the same applies to Darktable. Is there any other setting I need to do?

You’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:

First of all: I don’t own this camera so I’m limited to RAWs I can find on-line.

I extracted the full sized jpeg from the RAW and noticed that it, the jpeg, is smaller then the RAW: 5472x3648 vs 5536x3693 (64 pixels on the long side, 45 on the short side).

This discrepancy will show up in all RAW editors when comparing the jpeg and the RAW and will not show up in (most) image viewers. Image viewers almost always show the embedded jpeg when you load the RAW, so you are actually comparing the same jpeg.

I do not know why the jpeg is smaller, it probably has to do with the internal magic the camera performs to create the jpeg. You’ll have to ask Canon about that :grin:

hi @catchman, welcome to the forum. There is nothing you need to change: this cutting of the corners is kind of normal. In one of my cameras it is hiding the frame of the lenses, see the red arrows in the screenshot:

they are cut off in OOC:

Maybe with the framewidth in RAW-Tab-Demosaic (blue arrow) you can adapt a little bit to the ooc size.

Thanks again, I didn’t know there is a jpeg inside RAW file :slight_smile:
I think that explains it.

Weird thing though is both of my photos (jpg and raw) has the same resolution. Also, when I tried 📷 Convert RAW to JPG online with Raw.pics.io RAW free converter and viewer it converted RAW to a jpeg with the same resolution like the original raw, but looked like the jpg from the camera. Since the jpeg contains less area (box cover takes bigger part of the picture) I guess it means it has to be somehow cut-off and then resized by the camera.

Lesson learned is that I should expect a slightly different scene in a RAW picture from what I see on my display.