Raw Therapee and multiple hardrive on Linux?

So perhaps there is an issue with GitHub - flathub/com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee ping @paperdigits

1 Like

ye i think so but i donā€™t like appimages because not easy too update
But i donā€™t have another choice

RawTherapeeā€™s AppImage has a self-update mechanism, not sure how to invoke it though.
Maybe:

./RawTherapee_5.8.AppImage --enable-auto-update

@Carmelo_DrRaw would know.

3 Likes

Thanks

BIG Thanks to All for this great help and experience for me as newbee on linux!

Yes, hello. The flatpak of RT is sandboxed and by default only allowed to access your home directory and /tmp.

You can override the sandbox like this: flatpak --user override --filesystem=/path/to/filesystem com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee or grab the app Flatseal, which will give you a GUI for managing flatpak permissions.

3 Likes

Thank you, Mica. The macOS bundle I generate is also sandboxed but entitled by signature to access / during the runtime. This is known as a temporary exception in the :apple: world. Is the limitation due to a flatpak organizational rule? If not I would consider looking for such an entitlement.

For flathub, they ask that the file system access is limited as much as possible, but it is still up to each developer. I think the access is reasonable, and flatpak gives control to the user to decide where to allow access. The user can grant permenant or temporary access through the sandbox.

Now, we can make our own flatpaks and grant whatever access we wantā€¦

I am one of the flatpak maintainers on flathub, so ask away!

ā€œas much as possibleā€
I think access to /mnt definitely fits there. Is that possible with a flatpak sandbox? /mnt might be too Kubuntu-specific but you get the drift.

From what I know, different distros/apps will mount things in different places. Fedora does it in /run/media/username, Ubuntu in /mnt/username, gvfs mounts its own wayā€¦ and then there is the mount command.

On Mac every logical drive is always in /Volumes and thereā€™s only one distro of macOS. The / entitlement I can browse into a flash drive, a folder, bundle or container in any of various subdirectories of / reducing the chance of a null action when clicking on a file-type associated with the app, etc. Can flatpaks also behave specifically according to the distro of the user?

Not that Iā€™m aware of.

dpkg is the underlying package manager, but apt/apt-get is kind a second layer above it that usually makes everything much easier.

(Not sure if you can do something like automatically fetch and install all dependencies with dpkg alone without apt)

I think the way to describe it is that apt is to dpkg as yum is to RPM?

No, you canā€™t do that with dpkg.

Correct.