RawPedia "Download as PDF" Broken

Why can’t I download the pdf of the RawTherapee 5 manual? I just get a message “Book renderings failed”.
I could really use the manual.

Thanks for any help.

Jaybo2002

I’m going to guess we are missing an optional dependency in our mediawiki install. Perhaps @patdavid or @Morgan_Hardwood can have a look?

Reproduce the issue: click the Download As PDF link in the left hand side bar of rawpedia.

1 Like

I’ll poke at it later when I get a moment and see what’s up.

Any progress? Still get this error message:
“Book rendering failed
There was an error while attempting to render your book.

Return to Main Page.”

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Experiencing same problem. Hope you can get around to it in the new year.

Hi, I was just wondering if this will be fixed anytime soon?

I’m getting caught up on a backlog of stuff and will look into this soon.

@Morgan_Hardwood did you have this setup previously, and do you remember what HTML → PDF renderer you might have used?

@patdavid I did, unfortunately I don’t remember what it was called, and I hope there is something better now, because that one was far from intuitive!

1 Like

I’ll hack at this tonight or tomorrow if I get a chance.

1 Like

Probably this, and it seems to be the only active stable book renderer:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfBook

1 Like

Hi I would like to know if someone can post the PDF for 5.3 since its not looking like the Rawpedia is going to be fixed anytime soon?

The PDF is generated on the fly, so nobody actually has it.

We’re doing our best with the time we have. You realize you initially posted about this the day after christmas, and it was 5 days ago I said I was trying to get caught up?

As status report, I updated Rawpedia’s mediawiki (to 1.30.0), and I am currently in a support queue to get an essential piece of software installed to even make the PDF generation work (htmldoc). As soon as the host gets this installed for me, I’ll configure rawpedia to use it and we can see if PDF generation works then.

Hopefully this can happen in a day or so.

1 Like

I’m very sorry in no way shape or form was that question directed towards you guys I was simply asking if anyone had a PDF as I do know things like this can take very long again I’m very sorry for the misunderstanding

2 Likes

I too would love a manual, and had trouble with the system creating a manual for me to download. I know you make this stuff work out of the kindness of your hearts, so I can definitely wait.

1 Like

No apologies necessary, I’m just being grumpy because I’m waiting for htmldoc to get installed. :wink:

Host didn’t want to install htmldoc in a shared environment, so I complained more and am awaiting a next level tech to help (they’ve usually been great in the past).

An update. htmldoc has been installed, but it’s a hacky solution to the problem that doesn’t really work at the moment (particularly bad utf-8 support as well). I’m going to stop trying to force it to work.

The mediawiki team are actually re-working PDF rendering for the Book stuff: Reading/Web/PDF Functionality - MediaWiki and still haven’t gotten it running. When they do I’m sure we’ll pick it up as part of updating our install.

In the meantime, I’ll look at a way of generating a static PDF from the book manually (on a cron job probably), and link/upload it to the site.

For now, if you want stuff as a PDF, I recommend using your browser to print, and particularly Save as PDF if it’s available (Chrome/Chromium should have this by default).

The actual pages the book is composed of can be found here:

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/RawPedia:Books/RawPedia_Book

You can walk through that list and print each section as needed. As soon as we get a static PDF of that book printed I’ll link to it from here.

One might be able to use pandoc to transform the mediawiki markup to PDF.

1 Like