rawproc 0.9rc1 Available for Messing Around

I’m getting ready to tag rawproc 0.9, and I decided to post a rc1 for anyone who might want to try it. I’m going to play with it for a few weeks to drive out any latent segfaults from the recent changes, but it seems to be pretty stable at this point.

https://glenn.pulpitrock.net/rawproc/

If you just want to peruse the documentation, I’ve posted it here:

https://glenn.pulpitrock.net/rawproc-doc

The readme.txt gives good information for using the .exes, .zips, and .AppImage.

Of possible interest:

The tone tool “zoo” now has a configurable filmic curve. It’s not fancy like @Carmelo_DrRaw’s or @anon41087856’s, it implements the original Duiker algorithm and exposes its four coefficients as A, B, C, and D.

All the librtprocess demosaic work, including the xtrans ones. I’m still having problems recognizing selected xtrans cameras, however. All the algorithms have the relevant parameters exposed in the tool pane, but I haven’t tested them all yet.

The group tool allows putting multiple operations in a single tool, which greatly saves memory, as each tool you put in the chain has it’s own copy of the image. I’ve found it extensively useful for chaining the essential raw processing operations; so much that I made my input.raw.default property = group:colorspace:camera,assign;subtract:camera;whitebalance:camera;demosaic:ahd, all in preparation for doing away with the libraw dcraw-based processing.

Extensively reworked histogram. it will now display as either bars or lines, toggle between data and display extents, toggle a EV scale, and other such. I’m finding data/display to be very useful for controlling tools to keep from blowing highlights at output.

The display panel behaves better, zoom scale toggles ctrl: 10x and shift: 100x, out to 800% so you can see those nasty little individual pixels in all their glory. With the ‘color’ demosaic, you can actually see the RGGB pixel quads all colored-up per their raw values (don’t think it works for xtran, however).

If you decide to try it and you get errant behavior, post it here for me to investigate.

4 Likes

Hello @ggbutcher

Just downloaded the zip version of your software (rawproc-0.9rc1-w64.zip) and unzipped it on Windows 10 - home edition (64 bit).

All in all it looks quite stable: no crash so far :slight_smile:

Here are a few personal random findings:

I haven’t find a way (that is, some shortcuts) to zoom-in or zoom-out. Tried the keys + or - plus ctr+ or ctr- plus alt+ or alt- etc to no avail. I have even looked on the help web-page of your manual but didn’t find this information.

All my nef images (Nikon D700) look much darker as soon as you open them. With all other softwares I work with they are fine (Rawtherapee, Darktable etc).
    Here is a screenshot where I compare the same nef image opened also with the Windows 10 utility (Windows photos I suppose) where the white square is exposed fine out-of-the box:

I suppose the EDIT > exif information is not implemented yet.
    Here is the error message which always pops up:
    “No exiftool path defined in exif.command”

I’m glad it still has the “close to the metal” feel it had last time I tried… I like seeing the individual steps this way!

1 Like

Ah, the only GUI event I process for zooming in and out is the MouseWheel. I hope you have one… :smiley:

With that, if you hold down Ctrl and mousewheel, the zoom “speed” is 10x, holding down Shift and wheeling gets you 100x.

I will think about keyboard equivalents, based on your input…

This is actually a feature of rawproc - you’re responsible for the final outcome from start to finish. Your starting image will look dark for two main reasons: 1) your 14-bit raw data needs to be scaled up to fill the display boundaries, and 2) linear data has to be mapped to the gamma response of most displays. With the default processing I put into input.raw.default, you are presented with a linear, unscaled image; from there, you can curve and tone-map to your heart’s content to get the tone range you desire. I’ll not be including “presets” and such, as I feel this is part of the learning experience.

This menu item just needs the path to your exiftool executable, entered into the exif.command property. The default entry “exiftool”, assumes it’s in one of the directories in your system’s PATH variable, so that path may not be there or you don’t have exiftool installed.

You can see a much-abbreviated set of metadata by right-clicking on the NEF entry in the commands pane and selecting “Image Information”

@Silvio_Grosso, thanks for trying the software. I’ll caution you, it’s more of a toolbox than a solution, and will require some effort and learning on your part to duplicate what the other softwares give you ‘out of the box’ . It has provided me a significant learning experience in that regard…

2 Likes

Absolutely no plans to move off that tenet. For img, the included command line program, my aim is to chain raw processing in a command line, kinda like G’MIC does with “regular” images.

2 Likes

To zoom using the mouse wheel I have to single click the preview before. If I don’t, mouse wheeling does nothing.

Hello @ggbutcher

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

Yes, right now the window focus has to be established with a mouseclick. I’ve messed with EnterWindow and LeaveWindow events, but I haven’t attained a behaviour yet with them that doesn’t bollox up something else…

That should be solvable. You are using libraw as decoder, right?

Edit: I just had a look at the hdrmerge code, which also uses libraw and supports xtrans:

1 Like

I just mocked up +/- and ctrl+/-, and it looks like I’ll be able to incorporate it in 0.9. Need to figure out some keyboard conventions for reset to fit, reset to 100%, etc…

Hello @ggbutcher

I just mocked up +/- and ctrl+/-, and it looks like I’ll be able to incorporate it in 0.9. Need to figure out some keyboard conventions for reset to fit, reset to 100%, etc…

I have checked out of curiosity other softwares behaviours (just for consistency):
GIMP: + OR - to zoom in-out (very easy to use…)
RAWTHERAPEE: + OR - to zoom in-out (same as Gimp in short)
DARKTABLE: ctr+ or ctr- to zoom in-out (a bit more complicated)

While you are at it, what about a shortcut to panning into the magnified (zoomed-in) image:
GIMP: you press the space bar and while also pressing the left button of your mouse you pan into the image (I recall it is similar to Photoshop)
RAWTHERAPEE: you press the left button of your mouse and you pan into your image
DARKTABLE: you press the left button of your mouse and you pan into your image (similar to rawtherapee).
Yep, to pan an image, it takes a bit of practice, to make everthing working :slight_smile:

Right now, I have the GIMP/RawTherapee +/- zoom behavior, and holding down Shift and doing +/- does it 10x.

Now, to pan around, all you need to do is hold the mouse button down and drag. You can also drag around the white rectangle in the thumbnail image in the upper left. I didn’t have the need to constrain it to a ctrl- or shift-. You can do this now, in 0.9rc1

It’s a particular camera. I’ll dig a bit, find the two raws, at least one that worked, and the one that didn’t…

Oh, yes, using libraw.

Why ctrl key? Works here without it.

Ah, found the problem. For a particular camera, libraw is reporting bad margins and cropped image dimensions for the raw array, when I turn off the raw-crop of the unlit borders all is well. Here’s the ImageInformation:

Image Information:
Width: 6016 Height: 4014
Colors: 3 Original Image Bits: 16
Artist: 
DateTime: 2018:09:25 17:31:15
ExposureTime: 1/339 sec
FNumber: 5.6
FocalLength: 18.5
ISOSpeedRatings: 200
ImageDescription: 
Lens: (not found)
LibrawBlack: 0
LibrawCFAArray: 0312
LibrawCFAPattern: RGGB
LibrawCamXYZ: 1.350900,-0.619900,-0.125400,-0.443000,1.273300,0.186500,-0.033100,0.144100,0.502200
LibrawCameraMatrix: 0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000,0.000000
LibrawMaximum: 15872
LibrawMosaiced: 1
LibrawPerChannelBlack: 0,0,0,0
LibrawRGBCam: 1.260484,0.000927,-0.261410,-0.143123,1.475677,-0.332554,-0.024989,-0.462897,1.487887
LibrawWhiteBalance: 1.796875,1.000000,1.824219
Librawheight: 56
Librawleft_margin: 1536
Librawraw_height: 4014
Librawraw_width: 6016
Librawtop_margin: 1978
Librawwidth: 2941
Make: Fujifilm
Model: XF10
Orientation: 1

Edit: Ack, replied to myself; pinging @heckflosse

Edit2: Oh, should also implicate a logic error on my part… :smile:

Hello @heckflosse

Why ctrl key? Works here without it.

Yep. My bad!
You are right.
I have amended my previous post in order to make it correct as regards its shortcuts.

Congrats. Shall investigate once things settle on my end.

Thanks, and my prayers are still with you and yours…