Rawsamples.ch is actually not up-to-date, as it was hijacked by a SQL-Injection and the database which belongs to the Joomla-CMS was corrupted. I’m very sorry about this, especially as I haven’t had an actual backup of the Database-Content. As long as you see this remark the repair of rawsamples.ch is ongoing and the content is not current (it is between Dec. 2015-Jan.2016). Stay tuned, I’m working on the content.
Thanks for your patience.
Jakob Rohrbach / Nov. 2nd. 2016
LebedevRI was asking me about possibly building out a replacement for the site that would continue its functionality.
As a first step I’ve gone ahead and scraped all of the files from the site and have stored them on the main site (https://pixls.us/files/rawsamples/files/ [6.8G total]). Don’t be fooled into grabbing the
all_raws_rawsamples_ch.7z file, it’s missing stuff and is at least an order of magnitude smaller than it should be.
Archiving these files is all well and good, but the harder question is what a good long-term solution might be that will replicate the capabilities that the original site had (or maybe do it better).
but in the end it boils down to:
- nice friendly ui to check whether all expected samples for a given camera available or not and upload missing
- table output of all avaliable raw samples; <- camera list must be cross-referenecd with https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/src/external/rawspeed/data/cameras.xml
So I have a question for everyone (mostly @staff). What is a good solution moving forward to continue hosting and maintaining sample raw files? I was thinking primarily of two main approaches:
- Use the forums. It’s relatively simple to setup a new category just for posting raw files. We have more than enough eyeballs to make sure any manual formatting of post titles or tags would be managed fine.
- Low impact/barrier to implementation
- threaded discussion available (by nature of implementation)
- already setup to upload up to 100MB files to amazon
- searching/filtering available/missing files might be more clumsy?
- manual intervention possibly required to correctly sort/tag files
- possibly polluting topic lists with new raw uploads (showing up as new posts)
Build something new and expose it at an address like pixls.us/raw
This could be as simple as re-implementing what is already being done on rawsamples.ch. That is, emailing files to one of us to include in the list manually, or possibly using an anonymous FTP and requiring an admin to get, verify, and include the file on the page.
This could be extended to something more modern, possibly more secure, and possibly at least slightly more automated.
- Full customization of page listings (cleaner look)
- Easier to generate view as requested (list of uploaded/missing + tables)
- More work, higher impact.
Though, replicating the current workflow of rawsamples.ch wouldn’t be that hard honestly. Something more fancy might require quite a bit more time/work.
- More work, higher impact.
Tools immediately available to use are FTP (could set this up right now), the normal pixls.us build system, this forum.