RawTherapee 5.10 missing exif tags

I have just used Hugin with some images created by RawTherapee 5.10. Hugin is a program that stitches many images together to create a panoramic image.

In 5.9 everything worked flawlessly, with images created by 5.10 I get a popup window asking for some information about the lens: the program needs the crop factor that is blank.

I looked at the tiff files saved by the programs and I noticed that version 5.10 saves only a few Exif tags, while 5.9 save many more of them.

It looks like the missing tag that causes problems is “FocalLengthIn35mmFilm”. Hugin compares this with the focal length to compute the crop factor.

I suppose that this is a result of switching to exiv2, but those missing tags are really annoying.

For reference here are the tags saved by 5.10:

Filename - P1016082.tif
ImageWidth - 5173
ImageLength - 3882
BitsPerSample - 16 16 16
Compression - 1 (None)
PhotometricInterpretation - 2
Make - Panasonic
Model - DC-GX9
StripOffset - 1436
Orientation - Top left
SamplesPerPixel - 3
RowsPerStrip - 3882
StripByteCount - 120489516
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
PlanarConfiguration - 1
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - RawTherapee 5.10
Exif-IFD-Offset - 1258
InterColorProfile - 318
ExposureTime - 1/400 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
DateTimeOriginal - 2023:02:01 16:14:05
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 45.00 mm
Lens Model - OLYMPUS M.12-45mm F4.0

And here are the tags saved by 5.9:

Filename - P1011489.tif
ImageWidth - 5192
ImageLength - 3896
BitsPerSample - 16 16 16
Compression - 1 (None)
PhotometricInterpretation - 2
Make - Panasonic
Model - DC-GX9
StripOffset - 2494
Orientation - Top left
SamplesPerPixel - 3
RowsPerStrip - 3896
StripByteCount - 121368192
XResolution - 300
YResolution - 300
PlanarConfiguration - 1
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - RawTherapee 5.9
Exif-IFD-Offset - 8
InterColorProfile - 121370994
ExposureTime - 1/400 seconds
FNumber - 8.00
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
ExifVersion - 0231
DateTimeOriginal - 2022:01:15 15:59:47
DateTimeDigitized - 2022:01:15 15:59:47
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 4.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Fine weather
Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 12.00 mm
MakerNote-IFD-Offset - 462
SubsecTime - 827
SubsecTimeOriginal - 827
SubsecTimeDigitized - 827
SensingMethod - One-chip color area sensor
FileSource - DSC - Digital still camera
SceneType - A directly photographed image
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Manual
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 24 mm
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - Low gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal

Maker Note (Vendor): -
Image Quality - Raw
Focus Mode -
AF Mode - 1 area
Macro Mode - Off
Shooting Mode - Aperture Priority
Faces Detected - 0
Face Info -
Title -
Country -
Region -
City -
Landmark -
County -

I hope that this problem will be fixed since it is annoying when using Hugin.

Thanks in advance.

Fulvio Senore

1 Like

Hello, I think you can fix this yourself. Go to the metadata tab - Exif. Scroll a bit down and check “Focal length in 35mm film”. Then save your photo. Solved?

Thank you, that solved the problem!

I never looked at the Metadata tab and I did not find any reference to such a change in the release notes.

Do you think that I need to create a dynamic profile to enable that tag for all images, or is there a simpler way?

Again, thank you for your help.

Fulvio

It should be enough to open a raw with your default profile, then go to that 35mm field, check it, then save your profile with a new name (*) and instruct RT to use this new profile when opening raw files.

(*) I guess you can use the existing name as well.

I did exactly this. I was in the same situation. Likewise, I was not aware of this serious change in RT 5.10 until Hugin told me. This should be mentioned in the release notes. I want all my EXIF tags to be copied to the output. I’ve been using dynamic profiles for years, so it was not difficult to solve it. I just added the following section in my default profile which is always applied:

[MetaData]
Mode=1
ExifKeys=*;
1 Like

Just to be more precise about what I meant when I mentioned the change from 5.9 to 5.10. I’ve never set anything in the Metadata tab, so I always had the default settings. In 5.9, the setting was Copy unchanged. This was OK for me as I set my JPG metadata later in XnView MP.

Now, in 5.10, the default setting is Apply modifications, but not all EXIF tags were selected. Only those in the Basic category are selected. I don’t know if this is what most users want, but I need all EXIF tags. In any case, this is an unexpected change, and it should be mentioned somewhere.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for your help: that fixed the problem.
I agree that this is an unexpected change and it ought to be mentioned in the release notes.

I strongly advise against copying all metadata tags because some data may not correctly describe the output image. Only add the tags you need in addition to the default. Most likely, the omission of the 35mm focal length tag was an oversight.

1 Like

Well, I see your point. But there are so many tags missing in the default set. For example, AF points, GPS data (which my camera doesn’t write), exposure program, metering mode, time zone, image stabilization and other camera settings. I don’t know which of them I should include and which not (I want the abovementioned for sure). So for me, it’s easier just select all. I’ve been doing this for years and had no problems.

1 Like