RawTherapee 5.10 Unexpected image layout in editor panel

Running Version: 5.10-65-g3672e0f34 under Mint 21.3, firstly in multiple editor tabs mode: the file browser preview looks like this (quite as expected):

But If I browse this one specific folder, the preview looks like this (not expected):

This is the only folder on my PC that I have found so far - out of the hundreds of folders I have - that cause RT to preview in this mode. I can see no unique properties of the folder in Nemo. Any explanations?

Switching to single editor tabs mode makes no difference.

OK. Got it. All part of the (failure to) learning process. For any others who might find themselves in this state: it’s the thumnail size that causes the preview pane to revert to single column, once the thumbnail size hits the maximum.

Is there a wide image (e g. a pano) somewhere in that folder? That will cause this to happen. I kinda wish RT (and ART) would scale wide thumbnails to a set width but I’ve seen this happen before.

There’s not what I understand to be a pano file but there is one image with an aspect ratio of 2.15:1 - however, on its longest side it is still only 1650 pixels wide, which is less than half that of some of the 4:3 raw images in this folder. A bigger issue could be some of the file-Ids the longest of which is about 56 characters, which takes up a lot of width (certainly wider than the thumbnail image), depending on the font being used…

Screenshot with largest aspect ratio image:

Thumbnails are generated with a fixed height, so for example, if you’ve set the height to 100 pixels and you have an image with a 4:1 ratio, the thumbnail will be 400 pixels wide. There are related issues on GitHub like this one: Improvements to file browser thumbnails · Issue #1239 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Thanks for clarifying that the height is the key dimension determining the displayed thumbnail. the github issue made for interesting reading - especially the fact that it was discussed about 9 years ago but development resources are so constrained that the functionality is still the same - yes?

More likely due to a lack of interest.

FWIW (which is nothing more than personal preference) my preference would ideally be to lock row and column size and simply make every thumbnail fit a single adjustable, but global, cell size. Otherwise I’d choose to constrain all columns to the same width (adjusting thumbnail size as needed for wide images) and allow row height to expand for tall images. That way, the impact of odd aspect ratio images would be limited to only the rows containing such images. The way it is, one odd aspect ratio image affects the (“infinitely” tall) column, which in turn affects every row in the folder.

But again ti’s purely cosmetic and of no real functional impact unless there’s some really odd aspect ratio image in the folder. Plus I use ART, anyway. :slight_smile: