RawTherapee 5.4 released!

Hi’

Thank you for a quick response.

I use dynamic profiles in 5.3. When I ran 5.4 for the first time RT just copied the 5.3 settings, so no default profile was created automatically. Should I manually select one of the new auto-matched-curves each time I open a raw photo?

Set your default profile for raw photos to Auto-Matched Curve - ISO Low.pp3. Adopt dynamic profiles accordingly.

Hello there!
I’m new on this forum, please excuse me if I ask something what is already asked. I didn’t find anything about my problem. I used rawtherapee 5.3 on linux and few days ago it’s upgraded to 5.4. Raw images from my camera are about 15 mb, and after editing in 5.3 they was about 10mb, but now, after editing in 5.4 they are about only 2.5 mb. For an image over 4000 px it’s too little. I’m afraid that this reduction is not without loss in quality. What are your experiences? Are there any adjustments? I’m pretty new to using the rawtherapee, but so far I’ve been overwhelmed.

Hi @dekao, and welcome to the forum!
Can you give us a bit more info? Are you exporting to JPG? Are you using the same settings (quality and subsampling) that you were using with 5.3? Can you share an example? Thanks!

Hi @agriggio!
Yes, I export to jpg. I did not touch the settings, unless they were automatically changed at the upgrade.

IIRC there was a change in the default compression for JPEG files that went in 5.4, so this might not be a problem. You need to share some example to make sure though

1 Like

@dekao the change in compression involved TIFF and PNG, not JPEG.
How did you export to JPG? You didn’t “Fast Export” by any chance, did you?
Show screenshots or even better, a video recording.
But first see Getting Started - RawPedia

@Morgan_Hardwood Dedicated is checked in fast export options, is it how it should be?
@agriggio
I uploaded both, raw and processed jpg, with pp3 files. _DSC3846.NEF (12.4 MB)

_DSC3846.NEF.pp3 (10.6 KB)

This jpg has 3.6MB. It’s only imported and exported from rawtherapee, for example, without processing with any tool. I’m sorry for three posts, forum allows only one attachment per post for new users.

You should not be using Fast Export for normal use. I will make that more clear in the documentation. The image you uploaded was not saved using Fast Export.

Saving: Saving Images - RawPedia

It was processed using the tools enabled in the default profile. If it wasn’t processed with any tools, it would look like this:
_DSC3846%201
or even like this:
_DSC3846%206
Learn more here:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Getting_Started
Editor - RawPedia (this article needs to be updated for RT5.4)
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Default (this is obsolete for 5.4 but worth reading)

There is nothing wrong with your uploaded image. Set JPG compression quality to 92/balanced and you’re fine.

Hi’ Morgan_Hardwood
I have tested 5.4 - the auto-matched-curve profiles/facility during Easter.

Excellent! The result is very, very close to the JPG image produced by the camera, without having to “mess around with” custom input profiles and LCP files. Congratulations to a very good result.

• I always underexpose my photos to limit the risk of blown out highlights. Thus the jpg image is too dark as well as the auto-matched raw image and I have to apply a positive exposure compensation. I very often set the black point using the black slider and the white point by moving the top right point in the luminance/luminance lab diagram. Does RT perform the auto-match before processing the exposure compensation and other settings?
  • Low ISO profile – no default sharpening? In my opinion most digital photos would benefit from sharpening
  • High ISO profile – no hot pixel filter turned on?
  • Noise reduction have changed from quality:standard/high to mode:conservative/aggressive, has the algorithm been changed? Aggressive sounds as something you should avoid?
  • Expert mode panels are a tiny bit wider than the other panels.
  • A very good idea to move complicated tools to the new expert mode tab. Maybe it would be even better to create at basic tab with all the, yes, basic tools maybe even in simple versions. As basic tools one will also need white balance, sharpening, noise reduction, cropping, straighten, perspective correction and maybe local contrast, but maybe not tone mapping, HDR tone mapping and Lab adjustments.

I am looking forward to study the updated documentation and also the pop-up text you normally get when placing the courser over a subject…o)!

@obe happy you like it.

The auto-matched tone curve is @agriggio’s work.

Yes, but it does take the DCP tone curve into account.

The optimal sharpening settings depend on the lens, aperture, subject matter, and even camera sensor. While we could enable a conservative default sharpening value, due to it being conservative it would not have much effect, the effect would not be noticeable at all when downscaling the image, and still it would needlessly increase processing time. So instead, sharpening is left to the user. Post-resize sharpening is far more important when downscaling.

Not all cameras require it.

No, just the description, it was misleading before.

Panel minimal width depends on the minimal width of its contents.

I disagree.

I hope to be done with updating the docs in a month.

1 Like