RawTherapee 5.5 softproof not working?

Hi. I have a new wide gamut screen. But I think softproof is not working in RT 5.5 (Manjaro Cinnamon). I have not set a printer profile, output profile is sRGB. Screen profile is set. When I klick on the softproof button the photo does not change. But when I save the photo in sRGB and open it in Geeqie or Firefox it looks totally different (green less saturated).
It is this photo (just an example - appears to be similar with other photos): https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7907/46031491074_b0f095333a_k.jpg It is in RT_wide (do not know which version).
Screen was profiled with Displaycal but actually I think that does not matter.
Out-of-gamut pixels can be marked though, both for my screen and the output profile.
Am I missing something?
Regards
b

Hi, Iā€™m not sure I understand exactly what you are doing or what you are expecting, but just to cross-check, did you try softproofing e.g. in GIMP? Is the behaviour different?

it is very simple: I want to see how the photo looks on an sRGB screen.
Actually I did cross-check: I tried soft-proofing in darktable and it behaved as expected (green looked less saturated)

unfortunately I donā€™t have a wide gamut screen, but Iā€™ll see if I can take a look. anyway. fwiw I just tested with a printer profile and everything seems to work fine, at least in that caseā€¦

1 Like

Would switching from RT_Wide to sRGB and outputting sRGB not effectively accomplish the same thing?

When you load the outputted image into RT and set it to RT_Wide, I would think you should then see ā€œnormalā€ colors. If thatā€™s the case, the issue then might be the mismatch between RT_Wide with sRGB output.

no no thats not what I mean. I only shared the photo so you actually have a photo in wide gamut for testing. I did actually save the same photo in sRGB too. I did not upload that one. It is a different file. sorry for the misunderstandig. right? maybe you confused me a little

If Iā€™m understanding soft-proofing (as described on the RT wiki) correctly, the printer profile must be set, as it is the profile that RT uses for soft-proof viewing.

I tried making a sRGB printer profile that you can try to use with RT, but I canā€™t guarantee that it will work sRGB.icc (433.7 KB).

Converting from Wide to sRGB, this is what I got Imgur: The magic of the Internet.

in the tooltip I read that the output profile is chosen if no printer profile is set

There seems to be some fundamental misunderstanding about what soft proofing is. Perhaps this will help: Soft Proofing: Matching On-Screen Photos with Prints

I checked again but it seems to work here. As I wrote before I donā€™t have a wide gamut screen, so I donā€™t know how to test whether thereā€™s a problem that is only visible in that case, but from my tests what I see in RT is consistent with what I see in both GIMP and darktableā€¦

Iā€™m not 100% understanding the issue, some screen captures of what youā€™re seeing might help.

@betazoid, can you try softproofing using this srgb profile as output, and tell me if it makes any difference?
https://filebin.net/skg0flix4aklwou6/sRGB_v2_plain.icc?t=aqsaei0r

thanks!

update: I managed to reproduce the issue ā€“ working on a fixā€¦

Thank you! I would have filed an official bug report but I was not sure in the beginning. Should I do it now?

yes, please. Also please test with the icc profile I linked earlier (using it as output profile) ā€“ if my understanding is correct, it should work with that one.

ok, I tried it with the sRGB profile you created. result is:

(1) if the profile is copied to /usr/share/color/icc: the inability to start RT; shell:

$ rawtherapee
terminate called after throwing an instance of ā€˜std::invalid_argumentā€™
what(): stod
Abgebrochen (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

if I delete the profile form the folder, RT starts again

(2) if I try to select the folder where the profile is in RT color management: immediate crash.

Ah, right. Thatā€™s another bug that I forgot I had fixed locally :frowning:
sorry for the noise. Letā€™s continue the discussion on github (thanks for opening the issue!)

1 Like

In the meantime, you can try using the sRGB profile made by @Elle, which you can find here:
https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles/raw/master/profiles/sRGB-elle-V2-srgbtrc.icc

1 Like

I applied to dev branch the 3 patches from:

If you use W64, you can test
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/RawTherapee_dev_5.5-70-softproof_WinVista_64_190116.zip

3 Likes

thanks. softproof works with Elleā€™s profile