RawTherapee 5.6 will get a Favorites Tab but no GUI to configure it

If it works along the lines of the existing Darktable favourites that would be really great!

Hi,
Would be awesome…

next step: if there would be a “Actived tools tab”, too :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Nice!
What’s the lowest level item you might be able to add please? The example has “profiled lens corrections” which is within “Lens/Geometry”. Would it be possible to choose “Demosaicing” instead of “Sensor with bayer matrix” for example?

Yes, that will be possible.

If you want to test on W64:

https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/RawTherapee_custom-tool-panel_5.5-12-g39d37a6de_WinVista_64_181218-1004.zip

1 Like

As there currently is no UI to configure the favorites, you need to add a line to the GUI section of your options file for testing the favorites. Example:

[GUI]
Favorites=bayerprocess;rawcacorrection;whitebalance;tonecurve;shadowshighlights;localcontrast;lensprof;dirpyrdenoise;sharpening;resize;

Here’s a list of all keys:

whitebalance
tonecurve
vibrance
chmixer
blackwhite
shadowshighlights
sharpening
localcontrast
sharpenedge
sharpenmicro
hsvequalizer
filmsimulation
softlight
rgbcurves
colortoning
epd
fattal
retinex
pcvignette
gradient
labcurves
colorappearance
impulsedenoise
dirpyrdenoise
defringe
dirpyrequalizer
dehaze
wavelet
crop
resize
lensgeom
rotate
perspective
lensprof
distortion
cacorrection
vignetting
icm
sensorbayer
bayerprocess
bayerrawexposure
bayerpreprocess
rawcacorrection
sensorxtrans
xtransprocess
xtransrawexposure
rawexposure
preprocess
darkframe
flatfield
1 Like

Is there a branch (dev?) that is RC2 + the histogram fix + favs tab?

dev it is

Will it be possible to change the order of the favs?

Sure, the order of the favs is the same as the order of the keys in this list:

Favorites=bayerprocess;rawcacorrection;whitebalance;tonecurve;shadowshighlights;localcontrast;lensprof;dirpyrdenoise;sharpening;resize;

Ingo, I’ve just compiled and had a go. Here is my OPTIONS file starting with the end of the existing list under [GUI] -

NavigatorHSVUnit=0
ShowFilmStripToolBar=false
FileBrowserToolbarSingleRow=false
HideTPVScrollbar=false
HistogramWorking=false
CurveBBoxPosition=1
Favorites=tonecurve;sharpening;sharpenedge;filmsimulation;epd;fattal;gradient;colorappearance;dirpyrdenoise;icm;

[Crop Settings]

This is what I got for my favourites -

A few comments. I agree with others saying it would be nice to keep the other toolboxes intact, however the tools have moved into Fav and out of original place.
I thought it would be specific parts in Favs like the demosaic I mentioned, however it seems to have wholly moved “major” tools, e.g. the whole of Exposure and Ciecam have moved to Favs.

E.g. the Exposure toolbox now looks like this -

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

The histogram is much better now, thanks folks.

Could it work as an ‘Activated tools’ AND ‘Favorite tools’ tab? So it contains favourites, but also anything that is active?
The UI part could then be reduced to a function ‘Make the active tools stay in this tooltab, and hide the inactive tools’.
This would mean:

• This tooltab can be preconfigured with mainstream (sub)tools for fresh installs.
  • A user can easily ‘lock’ these tools to the tab after using them. Perhaps a Pin icon instead of a Star.
  • Any pp3/image opened will have an overview of all active functions in this tab → convenient
  • The tooltab can be called ‘Pinned items’ with a mouseover ‘Pinned and active items will be shown here’.
    Example of unpinned/pinned icons:
    Screenshot%20from%202018-12-18%2020-02-17 Screenshot%20from%202018-12-18%2020-03-24
    The UI work could then (largely) be avoided, but there would be new work in automatically putting active items here (which may be impossible because it would require a restart of the program for example).

Edit: I have been thinking a bit more about this and it would make sense to have the ‘pin’ for each function that appears in the ‘Active tools’ section. (My first thoughts were about a single pin for the complete section).

Thus, the ‘Active Tools’ tab shows which tools are active. Once a tool appears here, it can be pinned to stay.

alb1x3:
How about duplicate the functions in the favs tab ?

+1

1 Like

If it were to be an active functions overview with the option to pin favourite functions, the functions would need to be duplicated and not moved.
The order of operation would be:

• Find the function in one of the current toolboxes and activate it.
  • The function will then be active in the active panel.

In the active panel, the following states exist for each function:

1. It is not visible and inactive
  2. It is active
  3. It is active and pinned
  4. It is inactive and visible (for an edit session where it has been used and made inactive)
  5. It is inactive and it is visible because it is pinned.

1->2: activate the function in its normal way. A copy appears.
2->3 and 4->5: user clicks on pin of a function
2->4: user deactivates function. To allow enabling again, the function stays visible for the current session.
5: if a function is pinned, the function is always shown. Pinning is kept as part of preferences.

Why are there so many states? In my mind, there should be 4.

1. inactive,unpinned
  2. active,unpinned
  3. inactive,pinned
  4. active,pinned

2-4 makes the tool appear under the favourites tab.

Personally, I would like to see a sort feature with the following options:

• processing order
  • default order
  • custom

PS I guess by visibility, you meant whether the tool is expanded. I would say that that state should match the current state of the tool itself.

1 Like

No way currently. Processing order is constant. Order will be only a gui thing to allow working topdown.

Edit: I guess I misunderstood… thinking

Afre, you clearly explained what I meant. Thanks. By ‘visible’ I didn’t mean expanded, but your description is nice and short.

Duplicating tools to favorites tab vs. moving tools to favortites tab will have some drawbacks.
I will elaborate on this next year :wink: