RawTherapee 5.8 Released

Thank you. I am very impressed by the amount of work and depth of features in RT. For a volunteer project the results are beyond what many commercial products offer.

5 Likes

Itā€™s nice to see that RT gets fair treatment in the photography media and new releases get publicized :star_struck:
Here are some examples:

Man oh man dpreview has some grumpy people. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I have been running through and trying to set the record straight on some finer points, but I tend to ignore the ones who seem like they are not interested in learning anything

4 Likes

Yeah. Someone was even complaining that this bloody bloatware even hadnā€™t a slider for sharpening!
H/Se tried apparently to develop raws from within the Preferences windowā€¦ Others said RT didnā€™t behave like the tools they were used to, still others that RT was slow like hell on their 64 core 2TB ram PC. Still others complain that RT hasnā€™t this and that and such. Crazy how some people react on a new version of an open source program.

4 Likes

Grump energy should be channelled to write bug reports and foster collaboration.

5 Likes

Yes. Itā€™s really sad that RT is so much worse than the raw developers those morons have developed.

3 Likes

Hahaha :joy:
I really enjoy your comments about other comments :raised_hands:
After I was laughing about the DPR users comments :speak_no_evil:
Itā€™s like: How do you know that your girlfriend used your laptop? Thereā€™s Tipp-Ex on the screenā€¦ :see_no_evil:

1 Like

They might be grumpy, but I agree with one point - why not start a new RT install with all tools in the closed state? When they are all open it is just overwhelming, especially for a new person. Whenever I have a new installation I have to do click-click-click-ā€¦ to close all the tools and have a nice sane view.

1 Like

Yeah, I just tried 5.8 with capture sharpening. Just when I thought RT couldnā€™t get any better, it did. The auto radius is very smart and means that I donā€™t have to tune it like I did with RL deconvolution. Also, from the being in linear colorspace, I noticed less brightening of noise, as well as the contrast threshold slider being better tuned to the noise threshold across the tonal range. Before, you had to optimize for the shadows, midtones OR highlights, and now, sweet sweet perfection.

2 Likes

Pro tip: right-click on one tool and all others will be closed.

2 Likes

Plus: Preferences > Save tool state (open, closed) on exit or now.

2 Likes

https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/blob/release-5.8/RELEASE_NOTES.txt#L17

However, I agree that all tools should be collapsed on a fresh install.

Like this?

diff --git a/rtgui/toolpanelcoord.cc b/rtgui/toolpanelcoord.cc
index 57f61a09c..02ec0ae75 100644
--- a/rtgui/toolpanelcoord.cc
+++ b/rtgui/toolpanelcoord.cc
@@ -650,6 +650,11 @@ void ToolPanelCoordinator::openAllTools()

void ToolPanelCoordinator::updateToolState()
 {
+    if (options.tpOpen.empty()) {
+        for (auto expander : expList) {
+            expander->set_expanded(false);
+        }
+    }

for (size_t i = 0; i < options.tpOpen.size(); i++)
         if (i < expList.size()) {

@floessie several months back, I spent a few hours looking for the correct placeā€¦ Thanks!

@floessie tested and +1 for commit.

Would be good if sub-tools were collapsed by default as well (e.g. wavelets).

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I missed the right-click trick :slight_smile:

Yep, no problem. Iā€™ll push tomorrowā€¦

i cant install on Windows. I see only the version from feb 4

https://rawtherapee.com/shared/builds/windows/RawTherapee_5.8.exe