RawTherapee claims that saving RAWs wont be altered by edition - but it is. (solved)

As i experiment with some opensource software wen it comes to RT how to export (save) edited image without damaging my RAW files?
As there is no export, and only one button to save image.
Claim from RawPedia is:

“Your original raw file will never be altered by RawTherapee.”

but for test purposes i just throw random RAW, saved it and now when i browse files i see that RAW is as i leave it after image saving.

Any ideas?

The claim from rawpedia is correct.

Where do you browse the files? The RT browser will update the preview corresponding to the edit.

oh ok, i browsing it in RT.
now i goes to files on my PC and opened it, again same edited raw, but after removing pp3 file is clean again.
It is good idea to straighten it in RawPedia for new users that RT automatically use pp3 file even when started from filebrowser on PC.
Thank You for guidance!

Most if not all raw processing software will have a matching sidecar to save the edits. It is usually in the same directory as the original. If you open the file in that application it is going to use the sidecar to apply the setting that you used to create it… This is not something unique to RT

3 Likes

I think the process is pretty well explained on this page
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Getting_Started

and this page

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Saving_Images

1 Like

And this file gives the user the ability to keep reference of a raw file’s edit state. One can copy the sidecar file in a backup folder and edit the raw from scratch in different ways. Having the sidecar means the user can go to the state they liked and backed up.

If the question is answered, shouldn’t the topic be labeled as answered/solved? Unless this practice is not followed in these forums. (?)

this is what i should do?
i cant find in this forum how to do that.
sorry, im new here.

If you are happy you can just edit the title of your post with "(solved) " added to it…

PS Welcome.