RawTherapee :problem when exporting (recording) jpeg images

Hello,
I’ve installed RT 5.4 and I’m beginner… After having edited some raw images and tried to export them (jpeg 8bit or Tiff 8 or 16 bits, or whatever), I got some small images of about 7 X 6 cm even if I choose a sustancial definition (300x300 dpi in case of jpeg) and a level of 92%.But windows explorer gives a weigth greater than 9 MO (confirmed by Gimp size and weigth) !
I’ve made a comparision with the output given by Olympusviewer that produced an image of 36 x23 cm (150X150 px) of 1.7 MO…
Is this a bug ? Or maybe have I missed some important things ?
Thanks a lot for any opinion/advice

Digital image size is not measured in centimeters but in pixels.
Start by reading the documentation, specifically Getting Started and Saving Images.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/

Thanks Morgan,
Yes I know that image size is usually measured in pix (or in cm, mm and so-on), but there is a linear relationship between the number of pix and the size (in cm, mm and so on). Anyway, the size in pix of the image is consistent with the size I gave. The image size is : 900 x 673 pix ; 300 x 300 dpi (highest quality and 92% level, jpeg: (8 bits); final weight= 500 ko).
I insist, when editing the same image with Olympusviewer (which is not at the sam level of quality than RT), I got a much bigger (and higher definition) jpeg image…
Yes I’ve already read the getting start and the Saving images paragraphs. But found nothing to help or explanation about this.
Any idea ?

Hi @pcoquill, are you using “fast export” by any chance?

Hi Agriggio,
To tell the truth, I dont know (where could I find this info ?).
I made an other test : I launched from RT (when editing the raw image) the external editor (the Gimp2 in my case). The Gimp loaded a 16 bits TIFF image which was converted into 8 bits one (since it cannot read the 16 bits images). I looked at the image parameters : same results : 900 x 673 pix ; 300 x 300 dpi a very small and poor definition image.
This evening (it is 14 PM, here), I will make an other test: try to edit a raw canon image, because I now suspect that RT has some problem when managing the raws produced by recent Olympus cam. (ORF files).
Thank you for drawing my attention to the “fast export”. I’ll try to find more about it !

can you share one of your ORF files? (you can upload it directly here if you want) thanks!

OK Agriggio, I attempt to do this.P5120121.ORF (16.3 MB)
Whaou the upload was fast !
Thanks for your help.

I see nothing wrong…

P5120121.jpg.out.pp3 (10.3 KB)

Are you sure you don’t have the “resize” tool enabled?

With the dimensions provided it could be a fast export with default dimensions(max 900x900)

@pcoquill
To do a normal export,

• either from browser, on the thumnail click the gearing at top left
    thumbnail

• or in the editor, send to queue ( gearing at bottom)and start queue when all editing done

• or in the editor save immediately

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/General_Comments_About_Some_Toolbox_Widgets#Tools

Well Alberto (sorry, I missed your first name), I surely choosed or made somethng weird/unadapted.
I tried to change the max dimension in the fast export (I finaly found it) 900 x 900 to 1500 x 1500. Nothing changed.
I try to follow the clue indicated by gaaned92. Thanks to him (her).

Thank you for theese indications. I try them immediately !

Hello,
I followed scrupuously the indications of gaaned22 (send to queue).Same results (900 x 673 pix).
I really dont understand what happens with this install (since it worked perfectly for Alberto).
That’s a mystery ! Thanks for your efforts.

grafik

Yes !!!
Alberto was rigth, the resize tool was enabled. How stupid I was…
Many thanks to all, it was a pleasure !
Best wishes to all Patrick.

1 Like

Yes I did it. Everything ok. Tahnks.

1 Like