RawTherapee processing challenge

With RT 5.10-505_lacam16n2_
I like that sunset, as it was taken, according to exif data, at 19h 41m.

In LA → Color Appearance (Cam16):
To get that sunset right, in the “source data adjustment” section, I have lowered the Gamma slider to 1.10 and the Midtones to -90.

20240331_B.jpg.out.pp3 (20,3 KB)

Greetings!

1 Like

Here is the second image. It’s a beautiful composition, and I enjoyed working with it. I used RawTherapee_7010merge_5.10-509-g4f6ba8757 version

IMGP2426.DNG.pp3 (15.3 KB)

@pd1 @arturoisilvia

Thank you :+1:
Wealth is in diversity

Jacques

With RT 5.10-509_lacam16n2_
The image was taken in July at 21:13 at sunset, when the sun has a very nice diffuse yellow colour.
Process with only:

1. Auto-Matched Tone Curve
  2. Capture Sharpening
  3. LA → Color Appearance (Cam16) basic mode:
    The most important thing in this module:
    a) Scene conditions: Surround: Dim
    b) Source Data Adjustments:
    → b1) Gamma: 1.93
    → b2) HighLight attenuation: Slope based
    → b3) Gray balance (slope): 0.67
    c) Viewing conditions: Chromatic adaptation/CAT16: 15.0

20240331_IMGP2426-1.jpg.out.pp3 (20,4 KB)

Greetings!

@arturoisilvia

Thank you very much :+1:

1 Like

Hello

I’m following @afre suggestion to include this image in the challenge. It’s neither underexposed nor overexposed, the dynamic range is low, but it’s a difficult image because of the atmospheric haze.
Quantum of the Seas

This time, I’m including the pp3 I presented. Due to the evolution of “lacam16n2”, I’ve made a few (small) changes.
Raw File
CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

pp3

I hope the 2 links are good :wink:

But of course, this doesn’t close the “challenge” - you can still compete for the 5 + 1 images.

Jacques

With RT 5.10-509_lacam16n2_

20240323_DSC5286.jpg.out.pp3 (20,4 KB)

Greetings!

@arturoisilvia

Jacques

1 Like

Here is my attempt at it using RT. Have worked on the contrast and enhanced the colour of the grass. Of course, haze removal was also done. Another thing I did was to crop the top part of the picture to eliminate the spots. This is one problem I faced and I would like to know how to solve it. That I will explain in the subsequent post. Here is my effort

Using RawTherapee_7023merge_5.10-182-g918ef5e5c_win64_release dev version

2024-03-22_14-28-41.75_DSC5286-1.jpg.out.pp3 (18.7 KB)

The problem I am facing in RT is using the spot removal module. I am working with it at the finishing stage of the work. What is happening is that as soon as I click the button on the right to activate the spot (marked with a red circle in the bottom frame). The exposure of the entire picture increases to the point when I am unable to see the spot. The top frame is when I have not activated the spot creation button, and you can see the spot.
This is when I am using the most recent dev version of RT. The situation is similar even when I use the stable release 5.10

What is happening and what do I need to do to make it behave normally?

@PD1

I don’t know. Spot removal does seem to behave erratically…sometimes it works or not. I don’t use this tool much (not because it’s not interesting, on the contrary), as I spend my time on development.

I’ve just compared to see if there’s a difference that would be linked to “Cam16”, it’s unlikely, but anything’s possible. The “dev” version has the same behavior.
But I’m not a “reference” when it comes to using this tool.

I think you can open an “issue” for this bad behavior, but independently of “lacam16n2”.

Thanks for your research.

Jacques

In this particular case, the Spot Removal module does not work for me either.
As an alternative, remember that in LA you have “Removing sensor defects or spots”:

Removing sensor defects or spots

1 Like

@PD1

Jacques

Sorry to persist with the spot removal problem here; it seems to be an issue is its implementation in the Windows environment. I installed ART (which is developed for Windows) to see how spot removal behaves. It behaved perfectly well, just as expected. Just for information. Hope the dev of the module rectifies it

@PD1

Hello.

Thank you for all your work, this is a considerable contribution.

For the bug “Spot Removal”, it is necessary to open an “issue”, usually it is the one who discovered the problem.

Jacques

Understand, but I get lost navigating in GitHub. The site is a little too nerdy for me :smiling_face:

Hoping someone will take it up

https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues

jacques

Thanks, done

B-1.jpg.out.pp3 (23.6 KB)

1 Like

DSC5286_2.jpg.out.pp3 (22.0 KB)

1 Like