Rawtherapee won't open thumbnails in file browser

Rawtherapee suddenly stopped opening my images. All folders are showing but it says no images found. I have uninstalled and tried again with various versions and the only version that will open my images is 4.1 but I don’t like the layout of this early version. RT version 5.2 has worked fine for 4 months before developing this error.

Version: 5.3
Branch: 5.3
Commit: ec0f7936
Commit date: 2017-09-30
Compiler: gcc 7.2.0
Processor: generic x86
System: Windows
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V3.22.0
Lensfun: V0.3.2.0
Build type: release
Build flags: -m64 -mwin32 -mthreads -Wno-aggressive-loop-optimizations -std=c++11 -mtune=generic -Werror=unused-label -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -Wall -Wno-unused-result -Wno-deprecated-declarations -DNDEBUG -O3
Link flags: -m64 -mthreads -static-libgcc -mtune=generic -s -O3
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON

For starters I’d make sure that your antivirus isn’t detecting parts of RT and flagging it as a virus. Can you try with the virus scan turned off?

Secondly, if you go into the RT Preferences dialog, there is a list of file formats to show/hide. Make sure all relevant file types are selected.

1 Like

I tried with virus protection off, no luck.
I don’t see a list of file formats
I tried adding into parsed extensions. ticking and unticking these boxes

Something seems to be wrong with your installation, there should be a bunch of extensions available in Preferences/File Browser.

I would uninstall RT and remove/rename the config folder in %LOCALAPPDATA% (see File Paths), then make a clean installation.

(Also check the installation folder, the uninstaller doesn’t remove manually added files.)

Thank You Jacal, you are a life saver. I was about to give up and resort to Photoscape. I did as you suggested and also searched for any files with Rawtherapee in the name, then deleted everything. As I am going to upgrade my computer to something more suited to editing, I thought I had nothing to lose. :grinning:
Many Thanks for your help.

For anyone else who ends up here with a similar problem looking for a solution, the specific file you need to delete is called “options”, this explains where to find it:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/File_Paths#Config

1 Like