re-importing image to update metadata

Hello,
I am not sure if re-importing of image which is already in darktable should refresh the metadata. I have some images already in darktable and now added new tags in the file on disk (dng) and in some other cases (raf raw files) added xmp sidecars with new tags.
After I re-import folder with these images, the new tags are not to be found in darktable.

Is this a bug or this is not a feature of darktable?
If not a feature, is there some way I can update 10k+ images with new tags?

Thank you for your kind help.

Please be more specific, how are you adding this metadata?

There is a refresh metadata button on the metadata tab in light table view

I already imported my 100+k images and build views took some time. Now I realize the darkroom doesn’t have collections. I like to simulate them adding some new hierarchical tags. So I created those in lightroom and exported them into files (XMP or DNG or…) Now I like to re-read those files so I can get those new tags into darkroom.

You mean under “selected images/metadata/refresh exif” ? It look sexactly what I need. It works for few images, but when I try now select all images in darktable, it is hanging for 5 min by now. I have selected folders %, pressed CTRL-A and now it is stuck… I hope it will eventually select all and I can press the refresh exif

There is also a preference to look for updated xmp files on start, which it seems like you should also check.

The LR importer isn’t robust, so I wouldn’t plan on managing tags there long term, the feature isn’t meant for interoperability.