Re: My question about Filmic highlight reconstruction

DSC_4309.NEF (19.5 MB)

re: Don't see what 'reconstruct' tab in filmic-rgb is doing - #8 by Tim

The jpg has Color Calibration, Exposure, and Filmic with the Filmic module turned on, only. This is the “base” of a set of posts for comparing Filmic Highlight reconstruction, only. In the following posts, the Color Calibration and Exposure modules will be applied in exactly the same way.

DSC_4309_FilmicDefaults.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

DSC_4309_FilmicTexture.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)

DSC_4309_FilmicStructure.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)

My comments on this set of images:

The “Raw Over/Under Exposure” display showed mostly green and some red overexposure. So, to what I think I learned, the texture reconstruction side of the slider is what could be used to do a “good” job. But I see little difference. I guess it just goes to show, when it’ blown, it’s blown. :grimacing:

But the Structure reconstruction is not better, or not really even different.

I know, I need to take more time setting my camera and depend less on trying to fix broken photos.

Did you have highlight reconstruction set to clip. Setting it to reconstruct in Lch gives filmic more data to work with.

@Tim Remember to place your preview image first in the op. That way, the gallery view of the Play Raw category can pick it up.

That is an excellent question. I didn’t know of such a setting. I will check and reply back later, possibly even tomorrow. I’m in a bit of a rush, right now.

1 Like

And that is another thing I’m not aware of.

1 Like

Also are you adjusting the threshold to include the highlights you want to target?? By default it is set high so that highlight reconstruction is essentially disabled…you can see this in the mask view

1 Like

Nope. Then that’s another thing I have to learn about and figure out. Honestly, I have either never seen or never noticed these things being taught or discussed, before.

Thanks

You may want to take a look at the posts starting from this one on, including a video a few posts down the way:

We’ve spent quite some time documenting this stuff in the user manual.

2 Likes
  1. It depends where you anchor the scene white. If you set it too low, clipping and desaturating well take precedence over reconstruction, so eventually everything gets remapped to solid white,
  2. Provided you gave some room to white and you turned the regular highlights reconstruction module off:
    • decreasing blooming/reconstruct will darken blown parts,
    • decreasing structure/texture will smoothen the valid/blown transitions,
    • decreasing the grey/colorful will get rid of magenta highlights
  3. Then, adding some more noise will fake texture and increasing the number of HQ iterations will propagate colors from neighbouring areas (the more iterations, the farther you go fetch colors, so watch out to not go too far such that clouds get painted with blue sky or sun with green leaves).
  4. Here, you got all 3 channels blown at the same time, so there is nothing left to reconstruct, it’s pure damage control at edges between valid and clipped.

DSC_4309.NEF.xmp (29,1 Ko)

2 Likes

Thank you, I will study that. I am a big believer in good documentation, but like most people, I sometimes neglect it when I shouldn’t.