Really manual! (Mini-quest in two steps.) Now solved.

Yes, I appreciate semi-antique lenses and the way they perform together with modern, digital camera bodies. I am especially fond of Olympus’ F.Zuikos, and here is The Lens that made me value the range.

Now, as step one in this mini-quest: Do you notice anything peculiar with this particular lens?

[Step two will be published later…]

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

It has teeth on the outside of the lens.

1 Like

@paperdigits True. It sets the aperture.

I notice the large flange at the rear (added to adapt to a different mount?)
Indeed, the barrel of the lens is not a barrel, more a cone, because the pic seems to suggest much narrower between the front element and the mount.
REALLY manual? - the lens also proclaims AUTO-S?
The serial number starts 52 and ends 25 but is not palindromic

@martin.scharnke Good observations!
Yes, it has an EOS mount at the back.
Yes, the barrel looks … er… er… odd?
And the Auto-S lever was removed.

It’s really old (40+ years?), before multi coating. F before the ZUIKO says 6 elements. According to Wikipedia…

This one?

The lens barrel looks flexible; is it a DIY Lensbaby?

It’s dirty.

Morning, all!

@afre Yes, that one.
@elGordo Aw, that’s just speck-ulations.
@ashurbanipal Clever guess!

Here is a more revealing side of that lens.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Looks like someone slav’d a tilt-shift lens using a bicycle tube…

1 Like

Congratulations, Steve! You were the first one to guess it, even before the revealing second photo was published.

Congratulations, Morgan! That’s exactly what it is.

I can’t say that I use it very often, because it is very tricky to handle :frowning:
Here is a typical shot:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to try one of these! I haven’t had much luck finding a suitable (and cheap!) lens to try it with, though.

:slight_smile: Ashurbanipal? Wow, you are the second Royalty in this forum! :slight_smile:

The semi-antique F.Zuiko lenses are very suitable for this kind or surgery
since the aperture and the aperture ring are located up front.

Here are a few other interesting DIY links for you:

http://www.johnnyoptic.com

http://cow.mooh.org/tag/art.html
http://forum.mflenses.com/manual-focus-lenses-f3.html
(especially the five sticky threads describing the Vnex, and VmFT systems)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Not entirely true. Olypedia says that multicoated versions might exist which are not labeled ‘MC’. They are at least single coated as far as I understand. This is an early ‘silvernose’ version of that lens. The later versions without the silver front ring styling are most likely multicoated.

In general the zuikos are very good lenses. They are rather contrasty with the tradeoff of some not so high-resolution detail. So maybe on a 40MP resolution body you won’t be happy. But the contrast and pop of those lenses…maybe not zeiss like (whatever that means to you), but still…

Not royalty, but it’s a username that reflects my love of books and is usually available. :slight_smile: Thanks for the links, I’ll check them out!

He’s the first, by far!

𒀭𒊹𒆕𒌉𒍑

Well, @afre, are you able to produce the glyphs of
the one that I consider the first one?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Could you remind me who the first one is?