Red flower monster

:laughing:

Of all those renditions the Adobe matrix is perhaps the best compromise. It could be made a little more orange in channel mixer, but isn’t far off. I do like the cie diagrams, shows what we are dealing with, and how different profiles change it. I’m beginning to think the best approach for srgb display is to combine two different versions using masks in gimp. Version one for the foreground, similar to your cfa curves or adobe matrix. Version two for the background flowers, taming the gradients by desaturation/gamut compression.

Odd. The normalise channels box is ticked. I see the following values:
CAT: None (bypass). Gamut compression 1. Clip negative rgb from gamut ticked.
COLOURFULNESS: red, -0.516. green, 1. Normalise ticked.
BRIGHTNESS: red, -0.625. Normalise ticked.
I concur with what Jacques said, reducing the red slider in brightness tab gives a closer result to what was posted.

Yes, 'twas a bit windy. Just adds to the challenge :wink:

Thanks. After all, I am here for discussion! I learn more that way, and contributing to play raw takes time so it is only courteous.

2 Likes

that’s strange.

here again the *.xmp from a duplicate and a screenshot of the module order and an exported *.jpg with all exif data.

DT 3.4.0

Red flower monster_DSC_0134_01.NEF.xmp (12.0 KB)

Nothing has changed:

Screenshot (darktable 3.4.1 also tried latest master, same results):

And if I export it to jpg:

Just curious: Anybody else besides @Soupy and me see this behaviour when loading @Suki2019’s sidecar?

EDIT: @Suki2019 Did you do anything to the image before importing it to darktable or do you have something set related to the working profile (inside or outside of dt)?

It doesn’t show in your input colour profile, but if I change the working profile from the standard linear Rec2020 RGB to PQ Rec2020 RGB all problems are gone and the image looks very much like the one you posted.

…is this a bug?

darktable 3.4.1 produces this wrong result.
the image is processed on my PC with DT 3.4.0.
on my laptop runs DT 3.4.1 and also produces such a strange result.

darktable 3.4.0 was rather buggy from the start if I’m not mistaken.

If I look at the bugfix list from 3.4.1 this one is on top:

Fix color correction RGB handling and saturation normalization.

I haven’t looked at the actual PR that handled that one, but it does seem to point to the issue that you are having with 3.4.0

1 Like

then I will probably quickly make the update on the PC.

thank you :slight_smile:

edit on laptop

Red flower monster_DSC_0134.NEF.xmp (12.0 KB)

1 Like

You should!

I just tried to find this specific issue on github. Can’t find it but there’s enough mention of the colour calibration having issues in 3.4.0. All of them fixed in 3.4.1

EDIT: Just tried your latest xmp: Works like a charm!

I wasn’t all that far off with my -0.368 setting :grinning:

I know it is “wrong”, but IMO, it is beautiful.

That deep red velvet look is rather nice, isn’t it. Makes me want to touch it…

I also played a little with the color calibration to compress the red channel followed by contrast equalizer for more structure and to get more orange from the stamen.
Finally, with help of the color contrast module, I gave the “dust” a more sliver/white color looking touch….

This picture was a nice challenge😊

DSC_0134.NEF.xmp (19.2 KB)

4 Likes

3 Likes

reedit on PC with DT 3.4.1.1

Red flower monster_DSC_0134_02.NEF.xmp (12.6 KB)

5 Likes

red.flower.2.pp3 (16.1 KB)

I had another go at this one.

I was curious what I could do with RawTherapee’s Wavelet levels tab to get some more warmth and details back and keep the colours in check (including the stigma).

I basically used the Residual Image and Final Touchup sections to do the “heavy lifting” and some minor adjustments with the other modules.

4 Likes