Release of G'MIC 1.7.4

Hello there,

I’m happy to announce the release of a new version (numbered 1.7.4) of the G’MIC image processing framework. This is a minor release in terms of new functionalities, but it has some important bug fixes. As always, I encourage upgrading to this new version as soon as possible :innocent:.

What is G’MIC?

G’MIC is a full-featured open-source framework for image processing. It provides several different user interfaces to convert/manipulate/filter/visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1d scalar signals to 3d+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, thus including 2d color images.

The following is the full Changelog of the version 1.7.4, as compared to the previous stable version 1.7.3.
Enjoy !

New features:

• [stdlib] New commands -fade_files, -fade_video, -morph_files and -morph_video which compute a streamed temporal fading/morphing of a sequence of images (given as an input filename pattern, or a video file).
  • [stdlib] New command -is_videofilename that try to guess if a specified filename is a video file (guessing by its extension).

• [stdlib] New command -x_grab_color displays a color grabber widget from an input image.

Improvements:

• [core] Command -rotate is now able to rotate volumetric images around any 3d axis, with an arbitrary angle.

• [core] In math parser, user-defined macros can now use function or operator names as argument (e.g. foo(x,y,fn,op) = (fn(x))op(fn(y))).

• [core] Filter/command updates have been merged into a single update file for the CLI and GIMP interfaces of G’MIC. The update files are located at http://gmic.eu/updateXXX.gmic and http://gmic.eu/plain_updateXXX.gmic (where XXX are the three digits of the current version number). The former being the compressed version of the latter.

• [core] Improve nearest-neighbor computation in a few functions of the CImg Library.

• [stdlib] Improve “streamed” commands -apply_files, -apply_video, -average_files, -average_video, -median_files and -median_video.

• [stdlib] Command -x_colorize and associated GIMP plug-in filter Colorize [interactive] can now display a color grabber widget, to let the user choose colors from any input image he wants.

• [web] Repository gmic-minimal has been removed. Repository gmic has been cleaned and is lighter. The ZArt and libcgmic codes have been moved to repository gmic-community.

Bug fixes:

• [core] Fix orientation when dilate/erode image with non-symmetric kernels.

• [core] Fix routine to compute a rotation matrix around a 3d axis (angle was reverted).

2 Likes

Possibly there has happened something with the differences in the morphological filters? They appear now as empty!

Could you be more precise. There have been some changes in the Morphological filter, but it should work as expected. What unexpected behavior did you notice ?

Hmm, David, how to be more specific?
As I said any difference of the morphological filters (e.g. original - erosion) in GIMP appear as gray chequerboard, what I called “empty”. I have tried only the preview of an RGB image.

Isn’t that your image has an alpha-channel ?
In that case, I suppose this is quite logical to get a purely transparent result when doing something like ‘original - erosion’.

You are right, it is with alpha-channel. I was irritated by my comparison with the cli

gmic LM\ 2016-05-10_11-12-30.png (1,0,0;0,1,0;0,0,1) --erode… [-1] -rm… –

which works as expected!

This actually works the same except that the cli tool does only display the 3 first channels of an image :slight_smile:
It doesn’t consider the 4th is an alpha-channel, because it can be something else (contrary to GIMP, where a 4th channel is always an alpha-channel).

@David_Tschumperle,

As far as I know, color picking outside the G’MIC GUI for GIMP is not possible at this moment. Correct me if I’m wrong. I would like a color picker that can pick colors everywhere on my screen, also outside the GUI for G’MIC.

Another option would be the possibility to load an example image in G’MIC. Then there are two windows for images. The one that is going to be edited and the example. So you can also have a color chart as an example. Within the GUI of G’MIC it then will be possible to pick the colors of the example image.

If this is already possible, please tell me the procedure, thank you.

No it’s not possible to do this for the moment.
Something I may consider in the future if I have some time (which is a valuable resource I don’t have that much :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle , another wish, based on my last message. :wink:

There are two color transfer filters in G’MIC. Maybe there can be a third one based on CLUT (Customize CLUT filter)? With an interactive GUI like in the “Transfer colors [advanced]” filter. So you can interactive match colors, as in that advanced filter. But in the “CLUT transfer colors” interactive filter, there must be a possibility to place lock-color points also.

I know you don’t have much time, but I hope posting new ideas for new filters is still allowed. :innocent:

@iarga, I still don’t know why but I gave a try adding an additional color grabber widget to the Colorize [interactive] filter.
This is what you can do with this filter update :

• First, you have to select an image file for the new Color grabber option that has been added.

• Then, you can grab colors from the displayed image when placing colored keypoints.

Now, back to work :smiley: !

1 Like

Although it is totally different from what I asked for, I do like it. However, I barely use the colorize filters. I’m sure others will appreciate this new functionality.

My wish is more interactivity in (or new filter alike) the “Customize CLUT” filter, with the same kind of interactive procedure to set source colors and target colors, as in the “Transfer colors [advanced]” filter, but with the possibility to lock colors. Like in the example below (blue points). Maybe this can be done with the right mouse button.

used images:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hortus_Haren.Waterlelie.(Nymphaea).JPG

Maybe it is possible to make this realtime interactive, so you can see the difference after setting a new point. Even better: the possibility to move or delete these color-points. The result image (preview) in a seperate window.

edit: I like the possibility for a reference image, as in your example. Maybe something like this can be a complement to the usual color picking function of G’MIC (GIMP), when it is needed. For linking source colors and target colors, the system from the “Colors transfer [advanced]” filter (like my example above) seems more convenient.

Thank you for all this awesome stuff in G’MIC. Succes with your work. Maybe there is some time in the future to work on this…

• 07/13/2016 : Final release !
2 Likes

Oops! g++: error: gmic_libc.cpp: No such file or directory
when I tried to build gmic 1.7.4 at Launchpad.net. I’m missing zart as well. Any hints?

Source file: http://gmic.eu/files/source/gmic_1.7.4.tar.gz
`

@David_Tschumperle builds fine in Gentoo with the Makefile changes from the other issue.

Hi David,
What is this color palette “Grabber: My_reference”, please?
I look for but I don’t find it!

EDIT: I have understood with the explanations, sorry! I’m dummy!