Release of G'MIC 2.0.2

Hello there,

This is the changelog for the release of a new minor version (numbered 2.0.2) of the G’MIC image processing framework.
As you may know, every major version (here, latest 2.0.0) always requires a few adjustments, so here they are ! :innocent:

Despite the minor release number and the few changes, there have been important modification in the G’MIC stdlib syntax which makes it not backward-compatible with the previous stable release (2.0.0). Thus, addition of new filters and bug fixes will be possible from now only for versions 2.0.2+.

Important note:

The GTK version of the plug-in should now be considered as outdated and won’t be maintained anymore. It is highly recommended to switch to our new (and better) Qt-based plug-in instead.

What is G’MIC?

G’MIC is a full-featured open-source framework for image processing. It provides several different user interfaces to convert/manipulate/filter/visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1d scalar signals to 3d+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, thus including 2d color images.

The following is the full Changelog of the version 2.0.2, as compared to the previous stable version 2.0.0.
Enjoy !

New features:

• [gmic-qt] New filter Artistic / Quadtree variations which uses quadtree-based decomposition for achieving various effects.

• [gmic-qt] Make preview zoom factor editable.

• [gimp] New supported parameter names filein() and fileout() to allow file selector being in the right mode.

• [stdlib] New commands -argmax and -argmin compute the argmin and argmax images of a sequence of input images.

• [stdlib] New function is_intriangle(P,A,B,C) in math library (command -math_lib) which tests if a point P is located inside given triangle ABC.

Improvements:

• [stdlib] Command -thinning has been recoded from scratch with new optimizations (is approx. 20-30% faster).

• [stdlib] Command -colormap has been optimized a lot, and is really faster when the number of desired entries in the colormap is high.

• [core] Multiple variable assignments and updates are now allowed, with expressions name1,name2,...,nameN=value or name1,name2,...,nameN=value1,value2,...,valueN where assignment operator = can be replaced by an arithmetic operator (e.g. +=). New string concatenation operator .= is also allowed for variables. See this link for more details.

• [core] When needed, G’MIC uses ImageMagick as a fallback to perform file I/O. IM 7’s command magick is now used when found, instead of convert (useful for Windows users).

Bug fixes:

• [gmic-qt] Replace flag -Ofast by -O3 when compiling gmic-qt (-Ofast makes nasty things with NaNs and some filters were not working as expected).
2 Likes

…and a new cycle begins.

This for Gimp 2.9.5

Working well so far.

2 Likes

Just one thing with 2.0.1: I use the dark theme, and in this case the zoom level font becomes white, over a white background, and is thus only invisible.

2 Likes

Indeed ! Thanks !

one question: is this ok, when i try to open some .cube files from the ‘huldclut filename open dialog box’. i have ‘save’ command instead of ‘open’. this is not big deal for me, but i just noticed that. here’s the screenshot how its looks:

1 Like

Interesting ! We will have a look at that.

gmic-gimp-gtk-2.0.1_pre-win64
Just noticed that Search filters is gone.

Yes, the search filter has disappeared, because the Qt-based interface has already one.
I strongly suggest to install this one, instead of using the GTK interface, as it will be discontinued in the future.

Makes sense. I don’t really use the GUI, so I will wait for @partha to update his packages. I don’t quite know where to place the Qt libraries.

Yes @afre. Now that @David_Tschumperle has cut off gtk :slight_smile: I’ll be building qt versions in the next iteration.

1 Like

Not sure how to report a bug, but Contours>Skeleton preset set to thinning (slowest) gives all black image result. :slight_smile:

Should be fixed now, thanks Lyle.

Yup; confirmed that it’s now fixed; thanks David. :slight_smile:

@David_Tschumperle please see 621270 – media-gfx/gmic-2.0.0 fails to compile: multiple GIMP_* defines missing

• 2017/06/22 : Release of G’MIC 2.0.2

Hi,

I am very new to Linux and am playing around with Kubuntu (17.04) at the moment. Maybe my observation is helpful for someone. If this topic has been addressed somewhere else, feel free to delete my post. I am working with GIMP 2.8.20.

I downloaded the Gimp-plug-in “gmic_ubuntu_zesty_amd64.deb” and after installing it I got a working GTK-plug-in but I wanted to work with the QT-version.

After removing the plug-in I downloaded the latest G’MIC-QT-plug-in “gmic.eu/files/prerelease_linux/gmic_gimp_qt_linux64.zip” and got the following error message when starting gimp from the terminal:

…/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

GMIC didn’t show up in Gimps’s filters menue. Searching for libpng packages on my system showed that all packages were related to version 1.6. A workaround was installing libpng12 manually (had to, because I didn’t find it in the package manager) but I read that installations from outside a package manager are not recommended in Ubuntu so I removed this package and followed the instructions on the G’MIC-website and compiled the Gimp-plugin on my system. I copied the compiled QT-plug-in into Gimp’s plug-in folder and it is working fine so far.

Best regards!

2 Likes

Thank You David! (and to all the people involved)
I’m Using it with Ubuntu 17.04 and Gimp 2.9.5 in parallel with the 1.7.9 version and it’s a great step forward

@partha Thanks for the new GIMP S build (Win). Now I can try QT G’MIC. PS The last CCE build seems to load much faster than this one.

@David_Tschumperle I noticed two minor QT G’MIC issues.

1. Spelling: 2cd should be 2nd

2. Fullscreen button:
    Set the QT window to Fullscreen, close and open it again. Fullscreen is no longer toggled even though the window is in full screen mode. Click on the Fullscreen button twice to return to windowed mode.

Thanks for your kind comments. :slight_smile:

I’ll be releasing the CCE version with G’MIC-QT as well at a later time, perhaps after the US Independence day.