Release of G'MIC 2.6

I don’t see any recent commit/push in your file in gmic-community repository.

Should I try to change your file?

Only changes there will find there way to update264.gmic!

@paperdigits How much storage does a GitLab repo have? I remember making hundreds of images of various sizes, with the total storage taken up being a gigabyte or so.

@KaRo Sure, I’ve got a pull request with the fixed UW4+ command and some more fixes.

I have changed some spaces, don’t forget to pull them quickly!

I meant gitlab for your script. I think the repo limit is 10 GB. But you can have multiple repos.

@KaRo Thanks, I see that I didn’t get all of the spaces!

@paperdigits I’m fine with using my GitHub repo right now for the scripts - since I’m only editing a single file, I can do it through a browser GUI without spamming commits.

@David_Tschumperle is there any problem with the update mechanism?
I don’t see changes in gmic-community reflected in update264.gmic!

I’m still not sure why, but I’ve removed display0 in latest version 2.6.4. I’ll probably re-add it later today.

You can’t change the precision of the sliders. To me, if a slider with a wide value range requires lot of precision, then there is a design flaw in the filter. You cannot be sure what display size your slider will fill. A minimal step for the slider is chosen according to the value range it defines.

I’m not sure I understand the limitations you are talking about.
Anyway here is how the plug-in works : To get the list of .gmic files to parse for filters, the plug-in first invokes the command gui_filter_sources, which returns a list of images, each one being actually a string that contains the path of the .gmic files to load.

$ gmic gui_filter_sources , e "{0,t}" e "{1,t}" q
[gmic]-0./ Start G'MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./gui_filter_sources/*if/ Set local variable 'local=/home/dtschump/.config/gmic/update264.gmic'.
[gmic]-0./gui_filter_sources/*if/*if/ Import commands from file '/home/dtschump/.config/gmic/update264.gmic' (3668 replaced, total: 3707).
[gmic]-0./gui_filter_sources/*if/*if/gui_filter_sources/ Input image at position 0, with values (104,116,116,112,115,58,47,47,103,109,(...)116,101,50,54,52,46,103,109,105,99,1) (1 image 31x1x1x1).
[gmic]-0./gui_filter_sources/*if/*if/gui_filter_sources/*local/ *** Error (file '/home/dtschump/.config/gmic/update264.gmic', line #22999) *** Unknown filename '/home/dtschump/.config/gmic/gui_filter_sources'.
[gmic]-1./gui_filter_sources/*if/*if/gui_filter_sources/ Input image at position 1, with values (47,104,111,109,101,47,100,116,115,99,104,117,109,112,47,46,103,109,105,99) (1 image 20x1x1x1).
[gmic]-2./ https://gmic.eu/update264.gmic
[gmic]-2./ /home/dtschump/.gmic
[gmic]-2./ Quit G'MIC interpreter.

If a user wants to add its own additional filter sources, there are two options:

1. Add a command _gui_filter_sources in its user.gmic source, that adds new sources, e.g.
_gui_filter_sources:
  path="/home/user/toto.gmic"
  ({'{/$path}'})
  1. Or, add a file named gui_filter_sources in $HOME/.config/gmic (or %APPDATA%\gmic\ on Windows) that contains the strings to the new sources:
$ gmic string "/home/users/toto.gmic" o cimg:$HOME/.config/gmic/gui_filter_sources

Also, this is how this should work, but I must admit I’ve not tested it for ages :stuck_out_tongue:

This option I tried without success (under Mac gmic 2.6.4.)

Ok I’ll try. The second option works seemingly. Very good, thank you for the hint.

Probably my fault, as I’ve left one useless version of _gui_filter_sources in my community file david_tschumperle.gmic, but I’ve removed it, so it should work after an update.

I should’ve been a lot clearer since I see your point about the sliders themselves having an inherent inability to be precise enough. What I meant was the number of decimal places in the text box next to the slider (which I feel is the value that should be passed on even if in G’MIC it is not like this now). I agree that the slider itself shouldn’t return extremely-precise values if it has a large range since the step size itself would not be able to change, but I’m quite used to having text boxes which allow me to input numbers which have more decimal places.

Another solution that I can think of is having two sliders on the same line with different precisions. It would allow one to input very precise values without even touching a text box but it would also be a problem for smaller display sizes.

What I want is to avoid having to effectively double the lines used in the GUI without having half of them hidden with another option to show them (and doing it in this alternative way would get rid of any compactness when this option is checked).

I’ll forward your concerns to the developer of G’MIC-Qt, maybe he can do something to improve the precision in the value box.

1 Like

@David_Tschumperle Why does extract_region name the result [unnamed]? Necessitates an extra step on my part; i.e., reassigning its name after the command.

The suffix change is a positive one; however, I think I will still do the renaming for backwards compatibility.

Survey: How much compatibility do you aim to keep in your filters?

Brilliant, thanks!

gmic_gimp_qt 2.6.5 Gimp 2.10.10 kubuntu 18.04

Saw an update so compiled and tried. Everything going great until I used Interactive curves. (The one filter I use the most)

That little black window. Eventually gmic crashes. This the end of the log

[gmic]-5./fx_curves_interactive/*if/x_color_curves/*repeat/local/if/if/ e[0;31;59me[1m Error in ./fx_curves_interactive/*if/x_color_curves/(…)/*if/*if/*thread3/_x_color_curves/ *** Command ‘input’: Invalid argument ‘()’.e[0;0;0m

Of course might be my compilation, nothing to compare with.

2 Likes

My fault, I have the same problem here.
I’ll fix that and generate new binaries for 2.6.5_pre. Thanks for reporting!!

ultrawarp+++++ doesn’t work/ 2.6.7

Error in ./ *** Unknown command or filename ‘ultrawarp4plus’ (did you mean ‘fx_ultrawarp4plus’ ?)

I fixed that bug and I’m waiting for the changes to be merged into the main repo.

I compiled gmic_gimp_qt (linux) on Saturday, comes out as version 2.6.8 and both ultrawarp 2 and ultrawarp ++++ are working.

1 Like

I’m looking for new windows build.
https://gmic.eu/files/prerelease/

Feature request?

Was working on a script and discovered that it wasn’t cooperating because

gmic (1) (2) +*[0] -[1] p

didn’t work as I assumed (1) (2) (-2) (i.e., C = A * -B) but resulted in (1) (2) (1).