released vkdt 0.5.0

Thanks, that’s really good to know! Thanks, @darix too. That was my hope. Any thoughts on what distro to use?

Could I… I actually have WSL installed, although I didn’t get as far as installing a distro, as I thought I read on the forum that the graphics card support would be problematic in WSL… ?

my answer will always be openSUSE Tumbleweed :wink:

packages are here

2 Likes

I have done that several times, it works.

1 Like

Great!

This was what I was thinking of vkdt on Windows - #7 by ariznaf I think I’ll go with the linux-on-USB idea!
Goodnight all!

Can vkdt edit raws of the canon r series? I have access to samples from a canon rp, but i am not sure if that’s useful

Hm:

[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 1x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 2x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 3x because we collected very few valid samples!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-64.nprof’
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 1x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 2x because we collected very few valid samples!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-80.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-100.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-125.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-160.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-200.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-250.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-320.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-400.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-500.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-640.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-800.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-1000.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-1250.nprof’
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 3x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 4x because we collected very few valid samples!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-1600.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-2000.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-2500.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-3200.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-4000.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-5000.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-6400.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-8000.nprof’
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 4x because we collected very few valid samples!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-10000.nprof’
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 5x because we collected very few valid samples!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-12800.nprof’
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 5x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 6x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 7x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] ERR: could not find a single valid sample!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-16000.nprof’
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 6x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] WARN: reducing expectations 7x because we collected very few valid samples!
[nprof] ERR: could not find a single valid sample!
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-20000.nprof’
[o-jpg] writing ‘Nikon-Z 9-25600.nprof’

So twice it produced an ERR message, but seemed to write the profile anyway. Is this OK?

can you post the corresponding jpg it writes? these contain a visualisation of the raw histogram, the pointwise noise estimation, and the fit. it should be obvious whether that makes sense when we look at it. the warning output does indeed not sound overly convincing :slight_smile:

if that is about cr3, yes we can load it.

ouch yeah that’s not going to work. i can see only three noise estimation samples (the red lines) and the fit (white line) is completely off. strange because the historgram looks good to me. if you could share the raw file with me i can take a look to see where it’s going wrong.

Here’s the raw file.
This was for the second highest iso. The highest iso image also suffered the same err.
I can also point you to the darktable PR if you wish.
DSC_0513.nef (62.9 MB)

In vkdt/readme.md at 0.5.0 · hanatos/vkdt · GitHub there are lots of graphic links that all result in 404 Not Founds. E.g. https://github.com/hanatos/vkdt/blob/0.5.0/doc/howto/gui-basics/node-editor.jpg

right. these point to the images in the website repository, which is used to create the website (https://jo.dreggn.org/vkdt/doc/howto/gui-basics/readme.html for the one you mention). i didn’t want to push stuff like this into the main code repository.

Thanks for helping with you tips… Happy New year

thanks for the raw. a quick heads up: it seems you were too successful preparing a good noise sample :slight_smile: this overflows some of my integers. i can create a good profile when i limit the number of samples during collection, but that seems stupid. i’m collecting this data as integer, not as float, only because amd doesn’t have float atomics. i have a different kind of workaround that should be applicable here too (but will take >10min to drop in).

1 Like

I don’t believe wsl has the necessary GPU support… There are some virtualization but I’m pretty sure it won’t work for Nvidia maybe Intel… I saw some drivers for that hardware… It may have progressed but I don’t think it will run on wsl… report back if you do get it running…

1 Like

It works! I spent most of this morning setting up Tumbleweed (Nice, btw, better than Mint which I’v used before) on a USB drive (actually an SD card…),then vkdt, which didn’t run, so then I installed the Nvidia drivers, et voila!
I’ve used up all the time I had available this morning (which was a lot) but the next step is to learn how to use it properly. Even though I’ve only tried it on an image on a HDD connected via USB 2.0, it’s still really fast… makes me think “is it actually working?” “or just pretending to”!

Lighttable is showing a lot of pixilated bees (?), except on the images that I’ve opened in darkroom. Need to read up on things.

now that would be a bug. it should only show these for a short amount of time while loading. if you can reproduce this, let me know how :slight_smile: or else try to reload maybe by clicking the same directory in the “recently used” folder?

fwiw pushed the quick fix, will do the proper subgroup/float atomics soon.

I tried that, and that goes a little weird too. :slightly_smiling_face:To save trying to describe it, I’ve saved a screen capture. Hope it answers a few questions, but ask if it doesn’t!
simplescreenrecorder-2023-01-03_20.43.03.mkv (25.1 MB)
Bear in mind that my Linux knowledge is patchy at best so I may well miss something obvious!