remove unwanted dead branches using retouch

@s7habo @Tim @Popanz

This is also from Merrill Creek Reservoir, Harmony, NJ where I was hiking last week. In this picture there are dead branches in the water and also on the right edge of the pic. Wasn’t very successful to remove using retouch. The biggest struggle was to keep the rocky shore intact while removing that dead branches from the water. Would love to see how you would do it.

_6I_8258.CR3 (10.7 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

Thanks for tagging me, but I have never been one to try to clone out “unwanted” objects.

Gimp

1 Like

Well I am one to clone out unwanted objects and if you want to clone out the dead branches along the shoreline in the bottom centre of the frame I for one don’t feel confident enough to really try this. I am not sure how possible it would be. Kudos to anyone who can do it.

1 Like

Not sure what you did but that dead branch in the water is still in there!

Is that good enough? I concentrated on the branches in the water:

_6I_8258.CR3.xmp (21,9 KB)

3 Likes

To answer this question verbatim: If I would do it in darktable, I would usually do it this way::

_6I_8258_01.CR3.xmp (30,8 KB)

Leaving darktable aside, I would try to avoid the dead branches on my picture when I take the photo. I would choose a different position or remove the branches on the spot before taking the photo.

If that wasn’t possible at the time and I still wanted to keep the original format, I would use GIMP for this task. In my opinion, it’s the better tool for such tasks.

If I had been forced to use darktable to keep the format, I probably would have done it this way:

_6I_8258.CR3.xmp (31,5 KB)

3 Likes

Wow!!! That looks so neat. Thank you Boris. You are at a different level in your skill(s).

Your edits looks clean!

All those pictures I took were unplanned casual shots and hence things were overlooked for sure. But that’s not an excuse for not making better compositions on my side. So agreed I should have paid attention to compose it properly to begin with.

Your advice to use gimp for such task is well noted. Didn’t try that yet but surely will in future.

ha I didn’t read the slogan

Gimp 2.10.34

3 Likes

So inspired by the fact that others could do it I got motivated to have a quick go at it. So it can be done. The retouch tool is amazing. Worth mastering. The two main modes are the healing option with the tool which does most of my retouch work, but when working near edges of details like the rocks I use the clone option. I then come back in another instance and use the healing option to improve the area that I used the clone option. Clone options rarely blend well while the healing option blends into the surrounding. The healing option often doesn’t work near details like the rocks here because it smudges in the color of the rocks into the retouch, hence the use of the clone.
_6I_8258.CR3.xmp (43.9 KB)

2 Likes

i removed the dead trees in the middle of the lake as well (GIMP)

4 Likes

Looks nice! Thank you.

When I do photo restoration work I mainly use GIMP for getting rid of the scratches and spots which are often numerous. DT’s retouch module is excellent for some work, but GIMP is quicker when you have potentially hundreds of dust spots on an image.

1 Like