removing background pattern from old photo

@afre Trimmed mean looks so much better despite that artifacts can be noticed at more areas. More details and better shading everywhere.

@Reptorian This version uses the trimmed median’s second finest details scale to guide the trimmed mean’s finest. For a much higher cost, the returns are small.

Thanks again, I’ll give it a shot. Your last picture using polar came up really well.

You misread my post. None of the sample images are FFT-based restoration but rather trimmed median and/or trimmed mean.

This is from FFT restoration. I did this without clone/heal, only covering off-centre stars/lines. As you can see, doing so unfortunately weakens the subjects’ edges as well.

ok got it, thank you for clarification, I’m still learning, but this forum has been so helpful :slight_smile:

I’m working on the same problem. The best result was from the G’MIC “descreen” by Andreas Påhlsson. The preview showed an almost perfect result, but running the filter left vertical-line remnants not visible in the preview?
descreen.PNG
Here is preview…
descreen-preview

@Lee1 Please give FFT restoration a try and report back. If you are stuck along the way, we can give you pointers.

@okieman There is no way around the inaccurate preview. The only workaround I can think of is doing apply and checking to see if it looks okay in the host app; if not, undo, adjust parameters, then repeat.

BTW, if you want to explore, @Iain has a few restoration filters you may want to try.

Well, there are no parameters offered. Only various versions of preview. I switched over to “Grey Descreen” which has some knobs…

Thanks I will

My fun with GIMP and G`MIC

That looks pretty cool.

Maybe less time-consuming using generative AI?

I tried AI before, and I find it pretty time-consuming, so I doubt it’ll help much here.

1 Like

I’m painfully new to this forum but have been on the hunt for a pattern removal tool for years. Iain - could you provide a link to your testing folder? I’ve downloaded Krita and tried to find the FFT filter mentioned I’m running a Silicon Mac & Photoshop. Thank you!

Hi @Lysa,

Iain was referring to his filters available
in the g’mic software package: https://gmic.eu/

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Hi Claes - thanks for the quick reply! I’ve looked around on the site you suggested and it looks like none of the solutions will work for me as I’m using a silicon mac. :grimacing: If you have any other ideas I would welcome them. Best, Lysa

Sorry, @Lysa,
I am not a McPerson :slight_smile:
so I do not know.

Thank you Claes!

My filter is available in the GIMP version of the GMIC plugin. I think Krita only has the stock GMIC filters available. That is probably why you can’t find it.

Sorry I cant be much help.

2 Likes

G’MIC in Krita can be updated.

Also, how you’re doing? Just to let you know, writing in G’MIC has been easier and more fun while you were away.