Removing green tint from welders glass

Greetings community, I’m a new dslr user and new to rawtherapee. I’m considering using welders glass 14 for the eclipse and wondering the best steps for correcting the green tint from RAW files?

So far I’m loving rawtherapee. If the question has already been answered please point me in the right direction.

1 Like

I’ve photographed through green welder’s glass before. It wasn’t a solar eclipse, but lake Huron over here in Ontario. The waves looked smooth like silk in broad daylight. I should go back and edit the images again, since back then I simply converted them to BW considering there is little I can do.

I’d say a start would be White Balance, tilt the TINT value toward magenta. A second option is in RGB channels, take green out of red, blue and perhaps a bit out of green as well.

Take some test shots and let me know how it goes. In the meantime I’ll try and dig up my own images :smiley:

Another way in RT is to use “Lab* Adjustments” and a) reduce the saturation of any green using CH Equaliser, and/or b) change the green colour using HH Equaliser. There’s a sampler tool so you hit on the exact green that’s in the image. Might be worth a try!

Thanks Stefan and Andrew. I’ll give it a try this week for practice and post results here.

1 Like

The easy/low quality way is using the white balance temperature and tint. A high quality way is to create an input color profile using a target shot through the green lens.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_create_DCP_color_profiles

So, here is my eclipse update.

I checked every welding store I could find, and they were already sold out of #14 glass. I did get some over exposed photos during totality, but mostly just enjoyed the experience - it was spectacular!

1 Like

I think enjoying the experience should be first. :slight_smile:

On the other hand, I’ll bet you can find #14 glass pretty easy now! :wink: