Request: Illustrations of G'MIC use, for various image processing tasks

Hello friends,

I’m currently in the process of responding to a call for projects, that could allow to get a paid developer for some months to work on G’MIC (“CNRS OPEN”: CNRS Innovation » Open).

The great news is we’ve passed the first stage (project pre-selection), and I’ll have to present the software to a jury in early December. It will be a 10mn presentation, where I must describe the current state of the G’MIC project, and the projects for the future.

One of the things I need to make clear is that G’MIC is versatile and can be used for a lot of different image processing applications.

So I think the best thing to do is to turn to the users (who frequent this forum) and ask them if they would be willing to share images that I could put in my slides to show that G’MIC is indeed very useful :slight_smile:

So, if you’ve used G’MIC on personal or institutional projects with a bit of visibility, it would be super cool to let me know, so I can show the diversity of uses for G’MIC software in my slides.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Of course, there’s absolutely no guarantee that my application will be accepted, but I’ll do my utmost to make it happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have used it to make more illustrated looking pictures for school projects. It helped to keep things looking more consistent, similar, and professional. Not super interesting, but I guess it shows an application for schools?

2 Likes

Yes, definitely. Could you tell me a bit more about it?
Like which school (if possible, country, city, student level), and maybe a picture of your final “product” ? I’m actually more interested by the context of the use than in the result itself!
The idea is to show that it’s used just about everywhere, and for a wide variety of things.

Thanks!

You can always use some of my test results in my G’MIC thread (fun or progress ones).

The largest visible ones would be my Paint.NET plugins which incorporate G’MIC in it or this one - G’MIC Car Box Wall Generator – Re-Volt World . The second one demonstrates that it can be used to develop things for games. I think I have plans to make more game-related modding G’MIC thingies in the future and that probably will lead to indirect attention to G’MIC.

They’re not much visible, but they’re the most visible out there I think.

The invisible ones are things I used G’MIC for personal projects where some one who knows what G’MIC is would scream “You’re not supposed to use G’MIC for that”. I did it to manipulate a non-image-related file before, and I would do it again when I see the need for it. I found it easier than Python for that too!

I don’t think i have anything to help here, but you couyld ask @Silvio_Grosso about his work :

Hi, I made a business card using gmic’s painting frame (rest in Inkscape), not sure if this is of any interest to you, David…

cdv_gmic_400px

1 Like

Mmmm I actually forgot about these… Not sure it’ll help you though!
A long time ago (somewhere between 2008 and 2012), i made quite a few (well, quite a lot actually) images (backgrounds, thumbnails) using GIMP and Gmic-qt (i guess it was called Gmip-Gmic at the time?) for educational software.

2 Likes

Hello David,

I work as a plant pathologist, in a laboratory, in the Italian public sector
I have used G’MIC for retouching my macro images since several years.
Mostly as a GIMP plugin, on Windows.

On top of that, but only for personal pleasure, I take picture of mushrooms for an Italian association. As usual, I work with GIMP, together with G’MIC (as a plugin).

Here is one example of my workflow:

• With RawTherapee I open my NEFs macros pictures (from a Nikon D850). Just a little tiny bit of retouching because they are mostly already fine (Low ISO, F8, tripod and so on…) :slight_smile:
  • With GIMP I insert some text (e.g. a graduated scale in cm);
  • With G’MIC I utilize just a few filters (usually only the inpainting ones, to remove objects, e.g. coins from the images)

For instance:

1. Original jpeg pictures (after GIMP passage)

2. G’MIC filter (through GIMP on Windows 10)

1. Final result

3 Likes

It was for a high school history project in the US. I had to create an ‘illustrated’ children’s book about an historical event.
Final product here:
Baby’s First Civil War.pdf (1.7 MB)

I did this with two similar projects, but the second isn’t in a conveniently shareable format.

1 Like

I just come by this thread today, what is the due date?
Is it too late to submit/propose/show something?

No, I give my presentation late november.
Any new proposal is welcome !

1 Like

Use G’MIC a lot and consider anything that I create yours to use as needed, David. Been on a Circlism tyrade of late. lol

Anyway, I’m sure others also are willing to share as well. Just let me know if you have a particular look you are going for and I can share some flows. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very Good news! Please give me just 2-3 days to find back some “works/showcases/links” I did, I did spread and/or found over the internet.

1 Like

Hello.
First of all, thanks for all your feedback so far. I’ve already put most of your results in my slides :slight_smile:
Also, I want to tell you an incredible story related to this search for creations where G’MIC came in handy. Believe me, this made my day :slight_smile: . Here it is:

Thanks to Judy Smith and Mark McCaughrean for their kindness and encouragement.

9 Likes

If you need the article in Nature where G’MIC and GIMP are mentioned, it’s here > Outflows from the youngest stars are mostly molecular | Nature

Screenshot:

Here Pat David @patdavid , speaks about the ability of GIMP 64-bits FITS that NASA and JPL asked to GIMP for their astronomy images. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmdbipkbrk&t=701s

Yes it’s for GIMP, but because of that, G’MIC has access to these images… no?
https://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_64bit.html

In my case, I’m trying to make slides for a presentation to convince a jury that G’MIC is widely used. This for getting funds for having a developper working full-time on the G’MIC project for a while.
So I must focus on the use of G’MIC, not GIMP.

Hello David,

On YouTube there are plenty of videos regarding Krita. Quite often, they use some G’MIC filter during the painting and these filters appear on the recording.

It is especially easy to notice them while watching the videos by David Revoy

For instance:

(minute 3:54)

But I suppose you have already contacted D. Revoy to ask for some material :slight_smile:

Yes, I know him very well, so he is already in my slides :slight_smile:

I think i used Gmic-qt for this background on this, probably a combination of hard sketch , syntexturize and … something else maybe :