Request: Illustrations of G'MIC use, for various image processing tasks

It was for a high school history project in the US. I had to create an ‘illustrated’ children’s book about an historical event.
Final product here:
Baby’s First Civil War.pdf (1.7 MB)

I did this with two similar projects, but the second isn’t in a conveniently shareable format.

1 Like

I just come by this thread today, what is the due date?
Is it too late to submit/propose/show something?

No, I give my presentation late november.
Any new proposal is welcome !

1 Like

Use G’MIC a lot and consider anything that I create yours to use as needed, David. Been on a Circlism tyrade of late. lol

Anyway, I’m sure others also are willing to share as well. Just let me know if you have a particular look you are going for and I can share some flows. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very Good news! Please give me just 2-3 days to find back some “works/showcases/links” I did, I did spread and/or found over the internet.

1 Like

Hello.
First of all, thanks for all your feedback so far. I’ve already put most of your results in my slides :slight_smile:
Also, I want to tell you an incredible story related to this search for creations where G’MIC came in handy. Believe me, this made my day :slight_smile: . Here it is:

Thanks to Judy Smith and Mark McCaughrean for their kindness and encouragement.

9 Likes

If you need the article in Nature where G’MIC and GIMP are mentioned, it’s here > Outflows from the youngest stars are mostly molecular | Nature

Screenshot:

Here Pat David @patdavid , speaks about the ability of GIMP 64-bits FITS that NASA and JPL asked to GIMP for their astronomy images. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmdbipkbrk&t=701s

Yes it’s for GIMP, but because of that, G’MIC has access to these images… no?
https://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/fits_64bit.html

In my case, I’m trying to make slides for a presentation to convince a jury that G’MIC is widely used. This for getting funds for having a developper working full-time on the G’MIC project for a while.
So I must focus on the use of G’MIC, not GIMP.

Hello David,

On YouTube there are plenty of videos regarding Krita. Quite often, they use some G’MIC filter during the painting and these filters appear on the recording.

It is especially easy to notice them while watching the videos by David Revoy

For instance:

(minute 3:54)

But I suppose you have already contacted D. Revoy to ask for some material :slight_smile:

Yes, I know him very well, so he is already in my slides :slight_smile:

I think i used Gmic-qt for this background on this, probably a combination of hard sketch , syntexturize and … something else maybe :

Oh Ok, and what about Python programmers?
I quote @dinasset

I prepared a new simple toy exploiting many of the G’MIC Filters available under the menu Patterns.

Overthere > Outcomes of the new toy: PATTERN FRAMED • GIMP Chat

Helping People with G’MIC

Showcase Fast Fourrier:

Playing with G’MIC on text:

Explaining how I did it:

Those 2 posts using G’MIC:

Thanks @PixLab , but at this point, what I’m looking for is really use cases where:

• Either G’MIC has been used as a too to create “big” projects (like short films, comics, and so on).
  • Or/and G’MIC has been used in more scientific works, possibly in well-known labs or institutions (the example above with the ESA is a perfect example).

I’ve already done slides concerning the use of G’MIC in the “amateur / grand-public” world, so this part of the project is already covered.

Thanks anyway!

1 Like

Here is an example of Phytoplankton detection and measurement done with gmic. Images are gathered with an automized microscope from stained phytoplankton probes. transmission and three fluoreszence channels (input), an intermediate processing step and the result of found objects.
All done with gmic. Publications are from an older state done with IDL. (gmic use is after my retirement!)
K. Rodenacker, B. A. Hense, U. Jütting, and P. Gais. Automatic analysis of aqueous specimens for phytoplankton structure and population estimation. Microsc Res and Techniq , 69(9):708-720, 2006. http://karo03.bplaced.net/karsten.rodenacker/Me/Misc_WWW/pdf/Phytoplankton2006.pdf

B. Hense, P. Gais, U. Jütting, H. Scherb, and K. Rodenacker. Use of fluorescence information for automated phytoplankton investigation by image analysis. J. Plankton Res. , 30(5):587-606, 2008. http://karo03.bplaced.net/karsten.rodenacker/Me/Misc_WWW/pdf/Phytoplankton2006.pdfhttp://karo03.bplaced.net/karsten.rodenacker/Me/Misc_WWW/pdf/PhytoplanktonFluorescence.pdf
Archiv.zip (3.3 MB)

1 Like

Hi Karsten,
Fantastic, thanks!

Not sure if this is relevant, but myself and @garagecoder used GMIC for prototyping and experimenting with the latest highlight recovery in Darktable. In support of the work of @hannoschwalm

4 Likes

I absolutely can’t over-emphasize the importance of testing a huge amount of ideas and algorithms by the gmic wizards, without your work and ideas we wouldn’t have this important stuff in darktable!

5 Likes

Absolutely relevant yes. I’ll mention this also in my talk. Thanks!

1 Like