Resize, define shorter edge..

As RT’s batching is working well, I’d like to see an option for defining shorter edge as a ruling measure while rescaling.

Came up on me, while some on-line printing services tell you the exact pixel dimensions which they use and due to printer system I suppose, longer edge is flexible; shorter edge is constant; orientation is ignored. At the moment I run command lines (Linux) and use Gimp to do the desired post processes. I like to shoot completely in RAW and while this resizing process is available in RT, I’d get also my “not so important but to be printed home photos” straight to the printer resolution.

Please correct if I’m wrong about the current options in RT…

All this to have more control of the print quality, save storage and keep viewing images as fluent as possible…

1. please_do_not_file_bug_reports_here
  2. If you want a print to fit on a page, then “Bounding box” is your friend: Resize - RawPedia
  3. Resizing by the shortest dimension will result in the image overflowing the paper if the aspect ratio of the image is higher than the aspect ratio of the paper, and will require cropping.
  1. Ok, missed that… I’ll move this elsewhere…?
  2. & 3. Bounding box doesn’t work in this case, because print paper “lenght” is flexible… I suppose papers are available also in a roll and machine cuts it…

for example : Digital photos, premium photo paper, format 10 cm, 11 cm, 13 cm, 20 cm | ifolor
They deliver a pile of prints, each different lenghts if they are cropped differently…
(further info describes resolution as 1210 x (y), 301dpi)

Yes, I see how this could be desirable. It would allow one to batch-apply the setting without worrying about photo orientation.

1 Like

Yep. Thanks, I hope this gets noticed, I posted it on Github, noticed earlier comment from other posts here in pixls…