Resolutions for 2024?

I’m surprised no one’s asked this already, so here goes: What are your resolutions for 2024?

I’ll start the ball rolling: I’ve taken up hiking. The kind of photography I like to do (street/social/documentary/event) can be physically demanding; I often have to walk long distances, as well as stand in one place for long periods of time to boot. As I mainly shoot during the spring and summer, it means I’m not very active six months out of twelve — and that means I struggle when my ‘photo season’ comes back around again!

A bit of a cliche resolution, I’ll admit; albiet, though, with a somewhat less common motivation behind it.

Over to you.:blush:

4 Likes

Just plan to keep travelling more and working less. Cruising to New Zealand in three weeks time. Morocco booked for May and Japan in October. May even throw some more trips in as well for 2024. Of course lots of photos while travelling. I bought myself a mirrorless Canon R7 which is equally good as a 4k video camera or still camera. I bought that to photograph wildlife in Sri Lanka which I did a couple of months back.

4 Likes

No defined resolutions here but I’d like to figure out some way to expand my photographic opportunities a bit, which is challenging (for various reasons).

1 Like

My resolution this year is 24 megapixels. Same as my camera was last year.

16 Likes

Less inside reading pixls.us and (learning) processing.
More outside taking pictures. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Mine, as of the last few months, is 33 megapixels.

I resolve not to go any higher for several years.

1 Like

Same.

Canom 5dmkiv & 90d, 30 & 32mpx.
Also using 1920x1200 on each monitor. Have two.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Are they STILL putting that old joke in your new Christmas crackers, or did you just buy them in bulk back in the 90’s? :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure I can put it as a resolution. Rather - desires - at least in photographic sense.

• catch up with my editing - I am too much far behind. There are still photos from 2023 that I have to attend to.
  • carry a camera (other than the phone) more often. It is like - way too often when it is not with me I am looking for it. And once I take the picture with the phone - it is never attended to - just disappears into oblivion.
  • take a bit more time before pressing the button. Kind of - change from “press the button and think later” to “think first then press the button (if I really want to)”
2 Likes

In the 90s it was only 16 kilopixels

2 Likes

@chaimav You beat me to it. Then again, I have been in read-only mode lately.

@everyone Happy New Year! In our corner of the internet, may you find peace in troubled times.

2 Likes

I use the word “goals”, because New Year’s resolutions are famous for not being kept. :wink: And I write them down because of how good I am at forgetting them…

Major goals for 2024:

• plan and shoot large pano for print
  • select and do a workshop or expedition
  • shoot at least one waterfall
  • for shits and giggles, choose a painter and try to emulate the style of their work in shooting and editing
  • shoot a minimum of 10 new locations
  • Edit: this year, don’t completely miss fall!

If I actually manage to get all this done, it will easily be the best year of photography I’ve had.

3 Likes

Oooh I loved a GB Camera! I was in London in 1998 and it was the time of Gameboy Color and Pocket editions. This camera has been seen as a great pair with GB printer. Looks funny now, but when I look back it was so nice what they tried to achieve.

Bob Ross, maybe? :stuck_out_tongue:

In your world, just be happy!

2 Likes

LMAO!

Actually, likely one of “the Group of Seven” since they did a lot of their landscape work in areas only a few hours’ drive from where I live.

In some cases, the editing would have to be pretty extreme. It might get some people upset over on RPF :rofl:. This is the goal I am most likely to miss.

1 Like

Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Can this be done automatically to some extend or does it mean completely paint a picture on top of the photography?

I’d be interested to see something like this too.

1 Like

Better pick up a three-piece suit if you want to join those guys.

Why does the photo of Arthur Lismer evoke Dick Cavett to me? :smiley:

2 Likes

I decided to take at least one photo every day of the year. There are no locked topics, so the pictures can be anything. My intention is to develop in taking and post-processing photos with this 366/2024 project.

I have done this once in 2017, so I hope I can complete it successfully also this year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I expect it’s going to require careful control of what is in or out of focus for starters. If it would involve completely painting a picture on top of the photography, I’d tap out. I’m not trying to become a painter, just trying to evoke the feel of someone’s paintings and probably leaning hard on creating “painterly” images. This is not a well conceived project at this point, just something that has been bouncing around the cavernous empty parts of my head.

2 Likes